Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pulling these posts from my build thread: Project Blueprint in order to make it easier for people to reference since the thread has become rather large...

These posts focus on my bumper.

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Soooooo, we got ice. Then we got more ice and more ice then more ice. Then we got some snow. After a few days the roads were clear and we actually had work. So, the morning of the 5th, I got the truck out of the garage and drove it into work.

Just so happens that the city still doesn't know how to use the plows apparently. I was driving in the outermost of the 3 lane road, all of which had been cleared by the plows. I was coming up to where my favorite coffee shop sits so I slowed down to about 25 or 30 to see if they had plowed their drive/parking lot so I could get some deliciousness... Well, they didn't plow it out. Anyway, back to the story.

I didn't notice until too late that the plows had left a section that was about 10-15' long of unplowed snow. Attempted to shift lanes and caught some of the snow/slush with my back end, which kicked the truck sideways.

I went through the intersection (which was right after the unplowed section) and went up into the pile of snow on the side of the road that was left by the plows. Oh, the lane was now plowed again. Well, I slid sideways into a large pile of snow which lodged my door closed. Had to step roll the window down and step out onto the snow to assess how stuck I was.

I wasn't really stuck. There were a couple guys that stopped to help, pushed a little on the front and I backed right out of the "drift"

Unfortunately, I finished screwing up my front bumper. The center grille is toast, the bracket on the inside of the bumper is gone, you can see the make-shift grille is trashed and the most damage is the front bumper, which is now dented in one place and has several large cracks, all of which you can see...

After discussing things with the wife, I have decided to put the seats on hold and fix the bumper.

With my plans of making my own, and an offer that someone made to me, I have decided on a bumper.

This morning, I ordered this:

Yes, I have taken over where Eric (N.L.C) left off and I am going to do the SS bumper, but with a slight twist.

I will be piecing this together as I need the parts, but the plan is to cut up the broken bumper so that the SS bumper fits on it.

Also going to remove the dip in the center section for two reasons. 1. I have Forrest's old grille and still plan to modify that and run it and 2. I don't want to modify the metal bumper due to not being able to weld.

If the weather warms up nicely (as it shows) I should be able to start working on this next weekend, after the bumper arrives sometime next week.

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday, this box showed up and my son had to help me carry it inside:

Then the box turned into a house.

but then, I woke up this morning. And the house-box was still there.

And I was able to get out into the garage.

Started with this:

and this

Made some cuts and beat the hell out of the bumper for because reasons.

Then I stopped and looked around. began to think "What the fuck am I doing?!?!"

Well, no turning back now... back to work!

Gotta line it all up now.

Test fit

And another test fit

Then, the final test fits. I was done for the night as I ran out of time...

Next time I am able to work on this, need to finish welding up the top passenger cut, strengthen the cuts more with some of Todd's secret sauce, maybe even the front. Then fix the lower cross bar and fab up some brackets. Then chop off the sides and weld those into the stock Xtreme cover sides so I can mount it up to the bumper.

So... that's all for now folks.

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some metal mesh as well as fiberglass mesh already, plus extra plastic sections that I cut out of the bumper. I plan to use those to reinforce the back-side as well. It will be far from pretty, but hopefully strong as hell when I am done. :lol:

The front, I just plan to use the 3m plastic filler stuff to fill in some low spots...

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
getting started

stopping point for today. Filled and filled and strengthened...

crappy update, I know, but it's getting closer. Plan to work on at least one side tomorrow. The bracket for the other side (hopefully) will be here in 3 days so then I'll start in on the other side.

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, had to cut the metal bumper so that everything fit as it should. For some reason, the bumper wasn't mounting up to line up with the fender flares. I had to pull out the angle grinder and notch several sections out of it, plus the BFH to "massage" a section that both of the bumper bracket arms were contacting...

Now it fits right as rain. :thumbup:

As of right now, the wifey has blessed off on me working out there tomorrow as well, so going to jimmy up something to bolt the bumper to that isn't on the truck, mount everything to it and start even more cutting, heating and molding. :gd:

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And this is how everything is sitting until I am able to find and get those vents and the correct bracket for the bumper.

Working on shortening the sides and makin some corners...

And test fitting to make sure everything is able to line up the way I want it to. You can see how much I had to shorten based on the bottom piece of the bumper that is still sticking out toward the tire.

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a little time this afternoon and the weather was nice so I started working.

Lined everything up on the truck so that I could weld in the notches I made on the corners of the bumpers. Also marked what I needed to cut off to weld in the center lower bar. Logan wanted to come out and help...

Everything back off the truck and tacked up together...

On the truck to test fit

And lastly, back off and in the garage so that I can pull the cover and finish up the welds from the inside to strengthen everything.

Also need to modify the sides one day with the cover on the truck. Need to make sure they line up well with the side skirts.

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
drilling out the brackets that I am building for the brake ducts/bracing for the bumper...

This photo shows the back side of the bumper. Mainly wanted to show the fact that I was able to recreate the edges where the bumper cover mounts, but also gives an idea about the cuts and whatnot.

It's finally come to the shape of a proper bumper cover. I am not able to mount it to the bumper without any part of the Xtreme cover mounted on there. It bolts to the brackets now. I just have a little bit of cleaning to do as far as sanding and whatnot for the thing to be final.

Also, will be bending and cutting the final brackets tomorrow hopefully for this thing to be fully braced. Then I'll finish up the backside of the cuts with some epoxy for strength.

Then.. off to paint.

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And this is the final bracket that I had to cut/drill/bend for the bumper.

Finished making and mounting the brackets for the bumper so that everything was solid to make any last modifications for this thing to fit.

Took the truck for a spin and had no issues with it.

Tonight I picked up the paint and dropped everything off at the painter's place. Now we play the waiting game...

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh and the final clearance on this thing up front at it's lowest point is 4.5" which is the same as the side skirts... In case anyone cared. :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Woot Woot...

Picked it up this morning.

Then I cut out the grille and bent it up to fit. Then mounted it up.

Bumper mounted up...

And the final product...

Still need to work on the grille before it gets painted. You can see it sitting in the background of one of those shots.

Will take some better photos tomorrow in the sunlight.

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, here are the daytime shots..

Took the truck this morning to get donuts and coffee....

The bumper does look a little big, especially head on. However, you don't notice it from a normal standing view. I n person, it looks damn good. Exactly how I had hoped it would turn out.

Once I get the grille complete, the lower gap will be filled by it and hopefully the bigger opening up top (Chevy grille with the center section completely removed and recessed) will help tie the bumper into the top portion of the front end. Right now, the definitive line going under the headlights messes up the lines to me.

However, that will be a project for another day. Have a lot of stuff coming up and little time to do it...

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And that is that. Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer it or help out.

·
Registered
833 Posts
By gawd that bumper is sexay. Mind if I copy you??? Link please on where you ordered it????

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking good Boyd
Be careful going through our gate with that new bumper
Clears all day long. Though, if I don't hit the initial barrier just right, I will catch the top of it with the center of the truck.:lol:
By gawd that bumper is sexay. Mind if I copy you??? Link please on where you ordered it????
nothing I can do to stop you. :lol:

And I just found the cheapest place I could to find the parts. No links kept, just searched everywhere I could find.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
sorry for the O/T, but what projectors are you running in your headlights?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Todd could have a serious side gig building those things

1 - 20 of 20 Posts