I decided to move forward with a plan that I have had for the last couple years, just never actually pulled the trigger.
I have had Forrest's grille from his old truck since Joe, Mark and I went out to Ravenswood to rebuild his truck for his parents.
I always loved the concept of the Decoma grille, but never liked how it was designed. So, I came up with a plan to do something of the sorts with his grille, but could never come up with a way to pull the trigger... until now.
For those that do not know what the Decoma grille is:
Here's the initial concept photoshop I did a while ago.
Since I have been doing a lot of plastic welding, and I needed to modify the grille a bit to work with the bumper (final plan I came up with) so I dove into it.
My plan, if not obvious, is to create a Decoma style grille with the deep(ish) inset, but with a couple twists. One twist, I will divulge. The grill will remain flush (or stock) with the headlights. It will not protrude forward any. The second, well, I still have to figure that out and will keep that one a secret until I have it worked out.
So, after all that, here are the pictures.
I needed some plastic strips. Spent about an hour or so searching the internet to see if there was any place local, then I remembered that I had some donor plastic sitting in the garage. It worked out perfect!
Finished sanding down the grille and got it mounted up:
Then I started mocking up the cardboard for the grille insert.
Then I cut and started bending the mesh to fit inside that big ass hole.
Then some systematic bends here and there to tweak it (still needs some cleaning up) and I was able to rivet the grille in there for a temporary one day test drive with the assembly mounted in the truck.
Plan to stop by the painter tomorrow to see if the thing is actually ready or if I need to do more work to it before it gets painted. But, everything fits and is sitting where it is.
Once I get the grille back from paint I'll have the tid-bits behind the grille painted black and everything will be good to go.
And a better shot of the grille in the daylight. I have to fix a couple things to make it all line up the way it should, but very happy so far. Should work nicely with the blue paint on the thing against the silver mesh. Then going to figure out a bow-tie or some script.