Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Project Chinese step brother aka Greatwall Wingle 5

9K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  dna59 
#1 · (Edited)
Picked up a side project from work last week. I work as a Claims Officer at a local insurance company and this was deemed a constructive total lost after it hit park bench and small tree. Damage is limited to few replaceable body parts, scuffed rim and busted tire. The vehicle is a 2012 Greatwall Wingle 5 or Steed 5 in Europe or V280 in Australia w/ about 16,000 miles. Its uses the same cab and frame as a Isuzu Dmax & Colorado/Canyon. Many of the interior parts are the same as well. This version is a 2WD uses a 2.8L TC diesel engine w/ 5 speed manual transmission. Its the base model manual mirrors and power windows only in the front.

Plans...
Toyota Tacoma silver paint job
Remove body moulding and emblems
Black grille emblem
Black base with body matched housing Colorado mirrors
Remove the ugly bar at the front of the bed
Remove rear bumper
Headlights painted Audi black w/ LED city lights and DRL
6k HIDs in headlights and foglights
Crank the torsion bars to level out the vehicle
Side steps
Smoked 3rd brake light to match already smoked tails
Cluster bezel, door handle bezel and door switch panels painted OEM '14 Hilux color
Custom made grey shift boot w/ black stitching
LED interior lights
Side exit exhaust w/ polished aluminum tip

Began working on the lights. Took off the nasty smoke job, painted inside an Audi black and wired up some LED city lights and DRL. Just need to have them cleared now.

Painted the interior parts using the '14 Hilux charcoal color

Smoked the 3rd break light using a combo of the Audi black and Duplicolor Shadow paint

...and got the door panels cleaned up this morning

See less See more
#3 ·
Lol yea that name isn't the best. I would love to know where they got it from. I haven't been doing much on the Colorado lately and was getting bored so needed something to keep me occupied.

#4 ·
I love the build so far.....please feel free to continue being a picture whore!

#7 · (Edited)
Rshadd that's the same one I'm running on my truck. I want the '08+ LED Dmax ones for my truck but I'd have to paint them as they come all clear with red LEDs. If you guys have any ideas or suggestions let me know.

#13 · (Edited)
Picked up the side steps today. Still haven't decided if I will leave them as is or scotchbrite them for a brushed finish.

Here is how it will look once installed

A preview of what the door panels look like. I'm picking up the custom shift boot later and pulling the rear bumper off so will pics of what it looks like without it. 3rd world vehicles are usually designed to be able use a rear bumper or not.

#15 ·
So much win in here

#17 · (Edited)
So today's projects where the side steps and shift knob. Found a SRT4 shift knob and decided it looks much better than the one in the truck and it will sit lower. Painted it ceramic black. Hated the chrome of the side steps so now they are now brushed.

#18 ·
Repairs have began but with the recent weather Idk if it will be painted tgis week. Settled on the silver streak mica from the Tacoma. Handles will remain black, moldings and emblems gone of course, rear rack thingy in the bed will be rid of too and grille emblem black to hide it a bit.

#20 ·
Getting closer but it's been raining too much so probably won't be painted until in next week. I'll be on Houston for a couple of days so hopefully when I get back it's painted.

#25 ·
....aaaaaaaand it's painted. The bed will be lined with spray on liner. After work I'll go and setup the interior after they have put in the windows and exterior handles.
The flares and front bumper also need to be put back on and the engine bay and are behind the front bumper to be painted black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.