Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Camo Princess
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so my friend who is a member on here but cant figure the forum out on his phone right now, so im helping out.

He picked up a dune buggy... thingy...

and so far we have figured out that the motor was originally in a '56 VW (not sure of what kind haven't been able to find out anything other than that), and the top end is from '67 - '68.

hasn't run since the previous owner bought it and the motor was locked up.

So we have compiled a long, list of stuff that's needed. some of it we may be able to find locally or if any of y'all know where we might be able to look let us know. (mainly me since im on here almost everyday)

so this is the dune buggy thingy....

And now for the list....

what we need:
A new motor
lights
rims and tires
gauges
a fuel tank (he wants a fuel cell)
bucket seats and harnesses
brake lines the originals are rusted through.
a set of pedals for a standard transmission.
and any VW parts we can find

Only a few problems we have are:

1. my friend is almost 7ft tall so we are having to extend the frame he has to squeeze in there right now

2. theres not many VW parts to be had around here. the junk yards mainly harbor fords around here.

3. the VW expert around here has never seen the motor before but it is stamped with VW all over it. the VIN doesnt even have a letter starting out it starts with a star.

Now if any of yall happen to have some parts or knwo fo some place that may have some for CHEAP or free let one of us know.

he is also willing to trade for stuff if he has something you may want.

He does have a set of double hump heads for a late 90s model GM v8.

I am just trying to help a dude out and i know nothing about dune buggies. So PM me or @Oddball and let us know what you may have , i will be updating this as i go.

Thanks guys and gals(i know theres more than just me on here)

KAT:salute::355group:

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
Look up a place called Black Gold over in Grand Prairie. They are a great source for VW related engine and items. Dont be alarmed when you walk in and it's old bicycles and rare dolls. They are legit with VW parts. Lol

looks like they moved. Now off of Great Southwest pkwy.

http://www.blackgoldweb.com/#2853

One of their VW meets

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Looks like something my older brother, cousin & I constructed in HS small engine/metals shop back in late 70's. Enjoy wrenching on the Mad Max Bugmobile...you've got a great project list there...keep the forum updated. That thing's going to be a blast to ride, when finished.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
The motor may be from a porsche, that was common back then because the porsches got wrecked constantly and had more power. My friend's father used to take Karmann Ghias swap in the porsche engine and essentially turn them into race cars for some sort of SCCA like series.

·
Camo Princess
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even though the motor is stamped with Vw all over the place? Ok. Ill check out both if those places. Thanks for the help guys. If we get it up and going it will be nice to drive down the beach. Lol

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
The early porsches had VW engines that were just "tuned" by porsche. I'm not sure what that entailed but likely all the stuff would be based off materials provided by vw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts