Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon gentlemen. My 09 Canyon 3.7 is running around the 180 degree mark in warm weather. Is this cold? My fuel economy is pretty bad as I struggle to get past 350KM on a tank of gas while driving conservatively. I purchased the truck 18 months ago, and don't know what has been done to the cooling system. Could the thermostat be bad or could it be a colder thermostat? Thank You

·
Registered
382 Posts
Is this something that just happened ? If recent I would suspect a thermostat stuck open . If it always ran cool a previous owner may have shimmed the thermostat to promote better cooling . I believe that the lowest temp thermostat for the Canyon is 187 degrees . I had mine stick open and it ran at about the same temp as yours is doing now .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this something that just happened ? If recent I would suspect a thermostat stuck open . If it always ran cool a previous owner may have shimmed the thermostat to promote better cooling . I believe that the lowest temp thermostat for the Canyon is 187 degrees . I had mine stick open and it ran at about the same temp as yours is doing now .
It has been like this since I got it. The truck was part of a fleet for a construction company. They did not do any towing. Do you reccomend putting in a warmer unit?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think you would be best served going with the OEM replacement type which is rated at 195 degrees .

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mine runs between 175 and 190 depending on the weather. I don't worry about it . . . the truck DIC has only complained a few times about "Engine not reaching operating temperature" and that was when it was chilly and raining cats and dogs, or really foggy out. When I have to replace the hoses I will probably get an OEM thermostat. I'm old school, I guess. Not getting hot enough is low on my worry meter.

I figure this does impact my mileage, but I don't drive much anymore and only have to get gas once or less a month. Now, in the winter I do end up with the "milkshake" on my oil cap due to short trips (and once on the tip of the dipstick) but it has never clouded the oil. Doesn't seem to cause much of an issue overall.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just one reason that GM chose to use the 195 degree operating temp is to eliminate condensation in the oil . Last time I checked water is a poor lubricant for internal engine parts . IMO the only viable reason to want to lower coolant temps is if you tow or carry heavy loads . Even then I would not go to a different thermostat , I would install the V -8 radiator . That's just me though , I hope you change your oil frequently .

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
form the km comment are you from Canada? is it a 4x4? X-Cab? or CrewCab? are you using a digital gauge for temperature readout? i'd suggest checking antifreeze ratio, you may have too much water. with the engine cold, remove the radiator cap and siphon a sample from there. the prestone gauge is pretty accurate.

coolant.PNG

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't depend on the dummy gauge.
Check it thru the OBD, or better yet, probe under the rad cap straight to the coolant.
Does the heater heat up really well?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't depend on the dummy gauge.
Check it thru the OBD, or better yet, probe under the rad cap straight to the coolant.
Does the heater heat up really well?
Heat is about average. I was using a Bluedriver to check temps. It was idling around 180 and while driving was mid to low 170s. I'm surprised it hasn't thrown a code yet. I just got a new thermostat and I'm going to do a coolant flush in a few days.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 2010,2.9, automatic and I installed a 187 degree tstat recently. Normal highway speed driving and or simply idling the temp is 197*-204*(without ac), but as soon as I start to accelerate the temps drop to 184-188 degrees and when the rpm's drop the temps go back to the 197-204 range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just one reason that GM chose to use the 195 degree operating temp is to eliminate condensation in the oil . Last time I checked water is a poor lubricant for internal engine parts . IMO the only viable reason to want to lower coolant temps is if you tow or carry heavy loads . Even then I would not go to a different thermostat , I would install the V -8 radiator . That's just me though , I hope you change your oil frequently .
I change my oil with Penzoil Ultra Platinum every 8000Km to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2010,2.9, automatic and I installed a 187 degree tstat recently. Normal highway speed driving and or simply idling the temp is 197*-204*(without ac), but as soon as I start to accelerate the temps drop to 184-188 degrees and when the rpm's drop the temps go back to the 197-204 range.
Those are the temps I would like to be at. I purchased this thermostat (15-11073). Was that the one you used?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Mine is a 3.7, 180K, and I was having problems with no heat in the winter, sludge in the oil, bad gas mileage, etc etc... The old thermostat was running the engine at 160 - 175 all the time... I replaced the thermostat, now it runs 200 - 210, and cleared up the problems I was having..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine is a 3.7, 180K, and I was having problems with no heat in the winter, sludge in the oil, bad gas mileage, etc etc... The old thermostat was running the engine at 160 - 175 all the time... I replaced the thermostat, now it runs 200 - 210, and cleared up the problems I was having..
I'm hoping I can fix some of the issues you are having, especially the gas mileage. Do you know if your thermostat was stuck open?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rock Auto has them for $22.79US . . . it's the original ACDELCO oem part.
Thank you for the recommendation. Those guys unfortunately kill all value when you add shipping. Amazon had it for the same price when you add 19 dollars shipping. I'm hoping that part will fix my gas mileage issues.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I'm hoping I can fix some of the issues you are having, especially the gas mileage. Do you know if your thermostat was stuck open?
No, it wasn't stuck open, it was just tired... The bad gas mileage, unfortunately is not really a lot that can be done, other than the basics... I did the thermostat, plugs, O2 sensors and filters and made very little difference... Only thing I didn't do, which would likely help, is change the CAT (perhaps put a performance hi flow one in?). I just find that these engines are underpowered for what they are used for..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, it wasn't stuck open, it was just tired... The bad gas mileage, unfortunately is not really a lot that can be done, other than the basics... I did the thermostat, plugs, O2 sensors and filters and made very little difference... Only thing I didn't do, which would likely help, is change the CAT (perhaps put a performance hi flow one in?). I just find that these engines are underpowered for what they are used for..
I just did the upstream O2 sensor as well. I also have a limeswap tune. How many KM can you get on a tank of gas?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had what I considered poor mileage. I also performed the usual in-depth tuneup(including cats and o2 sensors) as you did and the mileage increase was not what I expected, but after doing tie rod ends and upper ball joints and then a front end alignment, that was when fuel mileage nearly doubled.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts