Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I'm not exactly great with tools, but the instructions make it worse. How do you unbolt the things on the frame of the truck? A 3/4 seems like it's too big, yet that's what it says to use. Any ideas?

·
You Smell That?!?!
6,216 Posts
metric wrench...

15mm maybe

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I got one that fits, but it's a different size than the one that says in the instructions.. So I'm wondering if it's the right bolt or not lol. Does it look right?

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Depends on the nerf bars. That bolt is for the cab mount. Some mount to the bottoms of that, others mount directly to the body. What kit do you have?

·
Registered
14,599 Posts

Those the ones?

if so, Yes, that bolt you pictured is the one you need to let loose to put the mounting bracket on. Then, the nerf bar mounts to the holes in the side of the mounting brackets :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep those are it. I just get iffy when unbolting things I'm not 100% about. And the back one is wayy up underneath. That's really hard to get a ratchet in. Awesome though, thanks!

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
Yep those are it. I just get iffy when unbolting things I'm not 100% about. And the back one is wayy up underneath. That's really hard to get a ratchet in. Awesome though, thanks!
no need to worry man. if you unbolt the wrong thing just bolt it back :shrug:

its kinda hard to fuck something up just with one bolt.

the only thing i can think of would be the oil pan bolt.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
^ x2 on draggin's post. If it doesn't look like it's going to mount to that location, tighten and try another bolt haha.

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,872 Posts
Also with those bolts, you'll likely have to pound off the rubber mount then put the mounting bracket for the nerf bar on, then put the rubber thing back on and but the bolt back. I set the rubber thing over a open table vise then tapped the bolt out.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Get a handy friend to coach you through, after a few runs through doing different things with him, your comfort level will move up, so you can tackle bigger jobs.
THAT'S ONE OF THE GREATEST BENEFIT OF THIS SPORT , MAKING FRIENDS.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also with those bolts, you'll likely have to pound off the rubber mount then put the mounting bracket for the nerf bar on, then put the rubber thing back on and but the bolt back. I set the rubber thing over a open table vise then tapped the bolt out.
I don't have any vices. Any other way you can think to pound it off?

Attachments

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
a length of pipe just wide enough to fit th bolt inside so that it will rest on the piece you need to get off... then a BFH (big fuckin hammer)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts