Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't have any vices. Any other way you can think to pound it off?
I saw this picture and the only thing that went through my mind was "Where the hell did that come from and should I drive the truck with it missing?"

One of those WTF moments if I found laying under or near my own truck, lol.

Good luck with the nerf bars.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Hit it with some PB Blaster or WD40 and let it set for a while, maybe it'll loosen everything up for ya

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,872 Posts
I see you got it loose, but yeah, just something to support the rubber thing while you bang the bolt out, pipe, vise, anything.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Nerf bars FTW! :thumbup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
damn, i wish i would have chimed it, i kind of over looked this post. mabe someone else can use some info

22mm
i found it easiest to pound the grommets off by taking the ball out of my hitch and set the mount upside down and pound the bolt till it falls out the bottom..

good job, love some nerfs

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks. What I did was put it in between two blocks to act as vices and got it that way. It was fun getting it back on around the clamp too that's for sure.. lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
If those are stainless nerfs, do what i did and paint the mounts with rubberized paint. That way they wont rust before the bars do. Ive learned that from goin thru 2 pairs on my S-10. The last set on my S-10 i rubberized them and they looked as good as new before i traded it in.:thumbup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey deadudea: Time for YOU to assist. I'm about to do the same and put some nerfs on my 06 Reg Cab Chevy Colorado. Having the same issue with the cab bolts. (At production, they must have impacted them on so tight they rounded edges.) What size socket did you end up using to free the bolts? Did you have to remove the rubber grommets to attach the brackets and how did you do so with the least resistance? Any advice from your experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also with those bolts, you'll likely have to pound off the rubber mount then put the mounting bracket for the nerf bar on, then put the rubber thing back on and but the bolt back. I set the rubber thing over a open table vise then tapped the bolt out.
I can't seem to get the bolt out if the rubber bushing. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
When I did my body lift I used heat. I heated the bolt til it was glowing red then hammered it out.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts