Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Would you say that the stock intake much more or slightly restrictive compared to all the other aftermarket intakes out there. I was looking at a Volant intake, but to me it looks like a stock intake with the plastic part over the motor taken off. I could do that with a piece of pipe, replace the stock filter with a K&N, and save a lot of money. Do the Volant or K&N intakes really do, besides noise, that much more compared to stock?

~Troy

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Yes they do much more compared to stock and yes you could just do a plastic pipe and get the same outcome. I have the Volant and love it and would do it again over the plastic pipe. My homemade projects sometime doesn't come out the way I planned so paying someone that perfected it was the way to go for me.

I've has both K&N and Volant and will take Volant everytime, K&N's heat shield is a joke and doesn't shield much heat at all.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
I have the AEM on my 3.5 and felt like it was a noticeable gain and of course the sound from the motor now too doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
634 Posts
On the contrary I just took off and sold my volant for my 2.9 and I didn't feel shit for a gain. Especially not the quoted 35hp the box says Chevy gets. I don't know you so I'm not sure what your into but me personally I HATE the ricer intake sound and that's what you'll get. Stock is nice and quiet. I've grown outta my loud noises days. So to each there own. If the aftermarket stuff was so much better wouldn't Chevy have had them put it in instead of vortech? Just sayin.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Modified stock here and it does okay. Check and see if the air inlet cone is still attached and get rid of it. That will make a little difference immediately. Some of the aftermaket ones are nicer looking though.

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
Taking off the cone will allow hot air into intake=not good

·
Registered
220 Posts
Replace the stock snorkel in the air box with a 3" speaker port. You'll get most, if not all the gains of an aftermarket intake.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
On mine the stock snorkel hole is 3× stock size as is the fender opening. Seals up really easy with some good stuff spray.

·
Registered
424 Posts
..........Do the Volant or K&N intakes really do, besides noise, that much more compared to stock?~Troy
U bet they do......the K&N and Volant advertising departments say so, so they must. Yeah, right.....save your money.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I used to have an AEM Brute force and it was noisy as well made the steering wheel shake. I didn't think the heat shield did anything, so I got rid of it. With the stock intake I can hear the engine wind up, which I like, plus I'm over all that noise. The Volant looks like it would keep out the hot air, but why would I pay for something that looks like what the stock intake looks like. I figure getting rid of that piece over the engine with a straight pipe would smooth out the incoming air and save me 250 in the process.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
The main difference between Volant and a stock box is that it has more ports to get fresh clean air. It has a front scoop to get air from behind the headlight and also have the option to connect a scoop that goes down to the bumper. My scan gauge showed my air temp at about 200 to 210 degrees with the K&N and 70 to 180 with the Volant. In heavy traffic on a 98 degree day will I see 200 on the gauge with my Volant. I've never checked stock because stock never lasts long for me. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've had a K&N cold air intake on my 2007 I5 since bought new. Don't actually know if it works better than factory one but I do know its a miss conception that since the top is open that it doesn't get its air from the hole in the fender well. When the hood is closed the rubber (foam) piece around the top edge seals the top of the box from pressure from the hood closed on it. I put a hood pad on my truck and you can see a small indentation in the pad that is all the way around where that top rubber (foam) seal is.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have been running the K&N fipk kit for about 3 years now with no issues and seems to do what is needed. According to my edge insite when the truck is driving the air intake shows temps about 4 degrees warmer than the outside temps.

I bought the volant intake with the power core filter 3 days ago and just returned it. With the power core filter I was getting a P0172 and this seems to be a common thing. With my short time with this set up before returning it air intake temps were 7 degrees warmer than outside temps. But was much quitier than the K&N.

I think if I try the volant intake again I would just get the regular oiled filter as it seems people with the power core filter on a 355 seem to have issues with it.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
I'm running the oiled filter on mine and haven't had any codes. This morning it was 68* and the intake was running at about 77.

·
Registered
262 Posts
So you are running hotter intake temps than with the K&N intake.

I wonder if adding the ram air scoop would help to bring the intake temps down.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
My experience I've always ran hotter with the K&N, I never saw 77* temps when I had it. If it was a cold morning my intake temp was still over 100*.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
On the contrary I just took off and sold my volant for my 2.9 and I didn't feel shit for a gain. Especially not the quoted 35hp the box says Chevy gets. I don't know you so I'm not sure what your into but me personally I HATE the ricer intake sound and that's what you'll get. Stock is nice and quiet. I've grown outta my loud noises days. So to each there own. If the aftermarket stuff was so much better wouldn't Chevy have had them put it in instead of vortech? Just sayin.

Why wouldn't chevy put them in? Because Chevy isn't building for best performance they are building to meet a certain goal that involves engine life/noise/emissions/etc. So no, Chevy wouldn't have used it instead of their own Vortec stuff unless it performed better in all or a large majority of those categories. Aftermarket products tend to focus on performance and not the other aspects.

On a related note; an intake is not going to make a big difference in power, especially on a small engine. Just the same; an exhaust won't either (cat back/muffler swap not header).

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
I deleted the resonator and added the Jtr style inlet. My intake temps stay withen 6 or so degrees above ambient temp. Normal driving I didn't notice much but in higher rpms there is a definite gain. I didn't do it for the gains tho not really. I just hated the way that stupid box on top of the motor looked

·
Registered
424 Posts
With several posts already saying results r negligible at best, it sounds like r&d and advertising/mktng departments have successfully done their smoke-n-mirrors jobs. Looks is one thing, performance is another. Save your money.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts