Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Question about lug nuts

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Iceman62 
#1 ·
#2 ·
They look like they will, but personally I would be a little leery of no-name lugnuts I can buy off of Ebay. Sure they say they're made from "SCM 435 Cold Forged Steel" but without metallurgical analysis there is no way to tell for sure. If I was replacing my lug nuts, I'd buy a name I recognized.

#3 ·
They'll work...let us know about the quality, when you get them installed. I went w/Dorman acorn nuts fm Auto Zone, but some reviews indicate the coating chips off. Won't install until spring, when I get my 15's coated, so we'll see if they stand up. Otherwide, the ones you selected look good...same size as the Dorman's I have.

#4 ·
I now stick only with OEM lugnuts.

I have used the AutoZone black acorn nuts..........after a few tires of removing and torquing the wheels...the threads in the nuts stripped out.

I then I pony'd up for the name brand shit....aka Gorilla nuts.........they did the same thing after pulling my wheels 2 times.......and I torque my wheels by hand.....no impact.
@onelow1ton also had the same issue with the Gorilla nuts.

Moral of the story.....buyer beware

#7 ·
@rshadd

Ask James about how I broke the 36mm axle nut on his truck one handed..........i fuck nutts up LOL

#10 ·
I would not question the strength of the metal if it has been advertised as the same quality as one you are familiar with.

I would question the longevity of the threads and the fit/finish of the exterior.

I guess it comes down to a $25 question. The difference in cost of the ebay vs. local product.

#11 ·
I went through RockAuto and got the OEM lugs with the external threads for caps

I'll find a pic of mine and post it

#12 · (Edited)
Srsly though. I cheaped out when I got mine. I've had my wheels off at least 10 times since I switched to them in May. I always use a 1/2" ratchet to snug the wheels up, and a torque wrench for final tightening, with a re-torque after about 100-200 miles.The only time I'll ever use an impact is to take the lug nuts off, and even then I avoid it unless I'm in a hurry.

Amazon.com: Top Line C23705B Black Lug Nut: Automotive

Amazon.com: McGard 24026 Chrome/Black Cone Seat Wheel Locks (M12 x 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4: Automotive

#17 ·
got them in blue on my truck, no prob after 2 yrs

#18 ·
So I finally got the wheels in and got them put on yesterday :th_woot: gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the way my truck looks now. The lug nuts match up with the wheels really nice.

Attachments

#19 ·
Pretty "Schaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawingggggg" Sweet! Nice look'n upgrade. My rims arrived yesterday, but I'm waiting for better weather before installing. Can't wait!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.