Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just got my 40" light bar and I'm wondering how to wire it so the Spot and Flood functions. It didn't come with a harness. I was expecting it to come with 3 wires, 1 for ground, 1 for spot, and one for flood. But it only has power and ground wires. I've wired up auxiliary lights before but never a light bar. Would a universal light harness work? Do I need a 3 position switch? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
There is no seperate flood or spot on them that i know of. It all lights up at same time and yes a universal harness will work.

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
I had a cheap eBay light bar on my truck. Mine was a combo setup, mix of spot and flood LEDs. The outsides of the bar had flood LEDs and the middle section had spot LEDs. It was crazy bright and I miss it. That's what spot/flood pattern means.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a cheap eBay light bar on my truck. Mine was a combo setup, mix of spot and flood LEDs. The outsides of the bar had flood LEDs and the middle section had spot LEDs. It was crazy bright and I miss it. That's what spot/flood pattern means.
I got mine off eBay too. The quality seems pretty good. And it was under $100 shipped.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
I would recommend that you look at how to reseal the cheaper light bars. It's an issue that plagues all light bars, but it's more pervasive with the cheaper ones.

Some of them have removable ifs to defog the bars. A short term fix, but if used, can prevent premature failure (I didn't know the cheap pods on my truck had that, one of them is super dim after letting condensation sit in it too long before I tore it down).

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
I would recommend that you look at how to reseal the cheaper light bars. It's an issue that plagues all light bars, but it's more pervasive with the cheaper ones.

Some of them have removable ifs to defog the bars. A short term fix, but if used, can prevent premature failure (I didn't know the cheap pods on my truck had that, one of them is super dim after letting condensation sit in it too long before I tore it down).
I paid $95 shipped for mine. It was brighter than I expected, I think that its worth it. If you want to pay $375 for a light bar that you can get on ebay for less than $100, thats up to you. I'm good with the ebay ones, bright enough for me.

·
Registered
366 Posts

Agreed.
I got a 40in of amazon for like $150? Wasn't anymore then that. After 1 month I had moisture. Currently have it though to do that very thing. Re-seal the SOB.

@ivan29

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Take the end caps off -- look at taking the front glass off too to let everything dry out. Make sure that it's a dry cold day (if you can time it) to reseal everything.

Before resealing, take a silica packet (like the ones you find in bags, new electronics boxes, etc) and see if you can put it in the housing -- that way if you do reseal and leave moisture in the housing, that will absorb it.

Reseal with an electronics safe silicone caulk (HD & Lowes sell GE Silicone II, that's what I use). Do not use normal silicone--if it smells like vinegar that caulk can cause corrosion on electronic circuits. To reseal, I place a thin bead on both sides of any factory gasket to seal any small gaps.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Take the end caps off -- look at taking the front glass off too to let everything dry out. Make sure that it's a dry cold day (if you can time it) to reseal everything.

Before resealing, take a silica packet (like the ones you find in bags, new electronics boxes, etc) and see if you can put it in the housing -- that way if you do reseal and leave moisture in the housing, that will absorb it.

Reseal with an electronics safe silicone caulk (HD & Lowes sell GE Silicone II, that's what I use). Do not use normal silicone--if it smells like vinegar that caulk can cause corrosion on electronic circuits. To reseal, I place a thin bead on both sides of any factory gasket to seal any small gaps.
Ok. Thanks. I'll look into that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts