Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the harness for the chime does it also keep it where when you shut the truck off the radio still plays untill a door is open?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
No. Thats RAP (i think that means Retained Accessory Power). Same with your windows and stuff... they all stay active til you open the doors or 10/15 mins goes by.

IMO if you dont think you'll leave your lights on... i'd ditch the chime. I love pulling in somewhere and being able to keep my driver door open and not hear "ding ding ding ding ding......." while listening to my music.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
How do you "ditch" it?
Aftermarket Headunit without installing the chime modual. It's an extra you need to purchase if you have someone install your radio and they usually charge it into the install price with all the harnesses and mounting pieces. Tell them not to install it... or do it yourself without the chime modual. ;)

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I know, but it's the principle. I just wish there was a simple solution. I was not planning on getting an aftermarket HU for a while... :shrug:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well is there anyway of hookin into a wire to have it so it waits till the door opens or no? i just liked the idea of it i hate the chime i was thinkin if it kept the chime it wold keep everthing else!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
well is there anyway of hookin into a wire to have it so it waits till the door opens or no? i just liked the idea of it i hate the chime i was thinkin if it kept the chime it wold keep everthing else!
I have no idea what your trying to ask...

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Yes, you can ditch the chime but retain the RAP function of the radio. I did it when I had a aftermarket HU in my truck for a little while. You just use a standard adapter harness, and run a wire to a RAP source in the fuse box under the hood. I used the Power Window fuse, even though my truck doesn't have power windows it still had a fuse in that spot and had power going to it.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
To be honest I can't remember right now, I think it was just the power wire for the HU. If I've got time I'll do a little research on it tonight and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
81 Posts
so without the module for the chime, you dont lose anything else... just the audio chime telling you to put your seatbelt on, doors open, or parking break still on??

expensive piece for just a "ding ding ding" noise

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Yeah, pretty much. I spent like $15 for a standard harness, and the only extra work it required was running the longer RAP wire.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
so without the module for the chime, you dont lose anything else... just the audio chime telling you to put your seatbelt on, doors open, or parking break still on??

expensive piece for just a "ding ding ding" noise

Correct, and i'd rather have the $15 then hear that crap.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Correct, and i'd rather have the $15 then hear that crap.
Actually it's more like you'd have $35+ instead of the chimes, the cheapest I've seen the special harness is $50.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah ive seen the ding harness for $40 at wal-mart but i like my 15 dollar one i just liked it when the radio shut off after you open the door!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts