Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 GMC Canyon SLT. I can't seem to find any info on the location
of the Onstar Module. I've read it's behind the glove compartment, on the right side of the
dash board behind a panel, and even under the radio in the center console...
would greatly appreciate someone telling me where it truly is at.
thanks
dant51

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Welcome to 355/700 Nation! I am a GEN1 truck owner so I have no clue where it is, even in my vehicle. I am curious why you are wanting to locate it though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to 355/700 Nation! I am a GEN1 truck owner so I have no clue where it is, even in my vehicle. I am curious why you are wanting to locate it though.
thanks for the reply... having the beginnings of some issues I think are Onstar origin... too, I was curious as to why it seems so elusive... why should it be something that the consumer is not privy to where it is located??? When you pay a premium price for a vehicle, something you own, you should have the right to know such things... again curious...well, even more curious now.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Wish I could help but I’m not familiar with the new generation Colorados.

Try asking over at ColoradoFans.

I deleted Onstar on my truck and have no regrets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank you... I will check them out. Too, that's encouraging to know that I could delete
it. I really don't care too much for all the tracking mess they do, but I thought I had no choice.
I really like my canyon, although, the transmission has had issues from day one but the dealer and GMC won't
do anything about it.
Oh well... thanks again for your reply and help... be safe.

·
Registered
'05 crew cab Canyon, swapping to 6.0 L96Vortex
46 Posts

I also got rid of the OnStar account on my Canyon. Cell phone works just fine. When I called to cancel, the lady said I should keep it, because I was lucky I hadn't had to use it. In other words, I was "lucky" I hadn't been involved in a major crash with nobody around to call for help because the OnStar would sense I was in a crash and call 911 if I was in a condition not to be able to call.

Well, I guess I am lucky since I haven't been in that situation in the 16 years I have driven that truck. Saved several thousand dollars too.

Geoff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also got rid of the OnStar account on my Canyon. Cell phone works just fine. When I called to cancel, the lady said I should keep it, because I was lucky I hadn't had to use it. In other words, I was "lucky" I hadn't been involved in a major crash with nobody around to call for help because the OnStar would sense I was in a crash and call 911 if I was in a condition not to be able to call.

Well, I guess I am lucky since I haven't been in that situation in the 16 years I have driven that truck. Saved several thousand dollars too.

Geoff
The more I read and learn, I don't really care for OnStar. Seems to be more of an invasive tracking service than a helpful tool.
t came free with the truck at first, but I never renewed, they do on occasion send me notices like "my right front tire is low."
Of course, I already know long before their notice...duh! LOL!
I think if I can locate the module, maybe I can unplug it or something so I don't have to worry with OnStar ever again.

·
Registered
'05 crew cab Canyon, swapping to 6.0 L96Vortex
46 Posts
The more I read and learn, I don't really care for OnStar. Seems to be more of an invasive tracking service than a helpful tool.
t came free with the truck at first, but I never renewed, they do on occasion send me notices like "my right front tire is low."
Of course, I already know long before their notice...duh! LOL!
I think if I can locate the module, maybe I can unplug it or something so I don't have to worry with OnStar ever again.
It quits working after a while. They will also send you discount deals before they quit. The satelite pickup for Sirius XM might be tied into the OnStar module so you might be better off to just leave it. I couldn't be without my XM!

Geoff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts