Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a few questions about the QA1s and was unable to find the answer I was looking for. Thanks to Brewer for his drop components thread that I got the most info.

Info on the truck: Im running stock suspension right now, I have 245/40/20 tires. I plan on throwing 2" blocks and Monroe air shocks in the rear. I might possibly be going to 18"s to get a lower stance. I would like to get anywhere from 2"-3" of drop in the front.

CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, BELOW IS WHAT I HAVE IN MIND WHEN IT COMES TO THE QA1

From what Ive read, the QA1 will give let me adjust from stock height, to about 2.75" below stock height. The stiffness can also be adjusted in order to make them ride softer or tighter.

Brewer posted this info in his thread about QA1 parts:

Front QA1 coilovers:
DR7855P Proma Star AL single adjustable coilover shocks - $152.95 each
DDR7855P Proma Star AL double adjustable coilover shocks - $275.00 each
9029-146 4" Stud Mount Conversion - $26.10 each
7888-110 SPANNER WRENCH & THRUST BEARING KIT - $45.95
*Request bottom bushing bolt sleeve 9/16"

Question 1: What is the different between the single and double adjustable shocks?
Question 2: Do I need the stud mount conversion, spanner wrench & thrust bearing kit, and the bottom bushing bolt sleeve 9/16" to complete everything in order to install them.
Question 3: What springs do I use, I don't see any springs that come with them on the Summit website.
Question 4: How easy is it to adjust the ride height and the stiffness of them?
Question 5: What is the total price-wise of what I'm going to spend to get everything needed.

Don't bash me too hard on this guys, after a few hours of searching the threads I DID find information on them, but it was difficult to find the answers I was looking for.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
Start here and read on down for more info you may not already have and the answer to question #3.
http://www.355nation.net/forum/lowering/99409-better-tire-wear-springs-ball-joints.html#post2854922

also... I think you have to have the stud mount conversion kit. The spanners are to adjust height. The bearings make it easier to adjust. Not sure, but I think the bearings make it possible to adjust with the vehicle on the ground. Otherwise you have to lift the front and take the load off of that side to adjust.

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
From that thread, I can calculate that the front of my truck weighs 2533lbs.
Using the twgiffin formula, X = (500*2533)/2310.

X = 548 lbs.

Part No. Rate/In.
----------- -----------
12-500 500
12-525 525
12-500 550 <--- I'll need this one.

So question 3 is answered. My main questions are the differences between the single and double adjustable springs, and do I need all of the other parts mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
I dont understand everyones weight distributions... not that I dont know how to do it mind you. I am struggling with the numbers folks are getting. I am wondering if they had their tire pressures all set to equal pressures and a full tank of gas. Rshadd probably has the most accurate numbers as he is anal with details.

I haven't found a place local with actual 4 corner scales capable of 4000 plus pounds to scale out my truck. Even a slight difference in tire pressure changes the weight quite a bit. My S10 tought me that.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
http://www.355nation.net/forum/projects-build/28201-rshadds-build-journal.html#post783833

(2) DR5855B Proma Star AL Single Adjustable Coilover Shocks with Spherical Bearing COM8T-102PK - $167.00 each
11.625" compressed/17.00" extended

(2) TC1661P Stocker Star AL single adjustable shock 13.50" compressed/21.00" extended
(Request with upper T-Bar mount and Steel Races)- $139.00 each

(1) SS112SDM 4" Stud Mount Conversion - $32.00 each

*Switched to the SS110SDM Kit on 4/2012

(1) 7888-110 SPANNER WRENCH & THRUST BEARING KIT - $45.95

(2) QA1 Spring - 2 1/2" ID, Fixed rate, 12” free length #12-525 - $36.00 each

*Steel Races - NOT nylon.

Total: $840.96 shipped​

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im just going by the weight number on the inside of the drivers door. I havent modded my truck that much in order to effect weight. I just read that the QA1 coilovers I mentioned above are no longer available on summit, and they are suggesting the QA1 Proma Star Coil-Over Shocks DS501. I also read that some people were having troubles with the above mentioned QA1s in the OP being too long and DBNissan mentioned the DR5855B coilovers.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
QA1 single adjustable shocks have eighteen clicks of adjustment. Double adjustable shocks have eighteen clicks of independent rebound adjustment and eighteen clicks of independent compression adjustment for a total of 324 valving combinations.

Contact Mike at

Naake, Inc.
2300 Central Ave.
Roseville, CA 95747
Ph. (916) 771-0109

These guys are very knowledgeable and extremely helpful.

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I cant find the DR7855P Proma Star AL single adjustable coilover shocks anywhere. Summits website says they don't carry them anymore. I'm on the phone with Summit right now. So just for the front, Im looking at spending about $800 for everything?

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got off the phone with the QA1 manufacturer.
The OLD part number is QA1 Proma Star Coil-Over Shocks DR7855P
The NEW part number is QA1 Proma Star Coil-Over Shocks DS602
I talked to a lady and a man named Mike, who many of you mentioned in your threads. They informed me that they have recently been producing a 355 specific kit. Not sure if you guys know this or not. It runs for $543.75 before shipping and that includes EVERYTHING needed for installation. That price is for the FRONT ONLY!!!! They upgrade to steel bushing sleeve for the bottom and it includes the spanner wrench along with a few spacers and other little things. The kit comes with the 500 rated spring, but due to vehicle weight it can be adjusted due to your wants. Ill get the part number for the 355 kit.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
The DR7855P Proma Star AL single adjustable coilover shocks have been replaced the the DS602 single adjustable shock.

The DR5855P Proma Star AL single adjustable coilover shocks have been replaced the the DS502 single adjustable shock.

The DS502 is an 1.75" shorter than the DS602 and is a better fit for our trucks. The newer shocks now feature 18 adjustments vs. 12 adjustments for the older shocks.

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The DR7855P Proma Star AL single adjustable coilover shocks have been replaced the the DS602 single adjustable shock.

The DR5855P Proma Star AL single adjustable coilover shocks have been replaced the the DS502 single adjustable shock.

The DS502 is an 1.75" shorter than the DS602 and is a better fit for our trucks. The newer shocks now feature 18 adjustments vs. 12 adjustments for the older shocks.
Yea, I didn't know that before calling them. Not sure if its in your build thread or not. Ill be ordering the kit soon, I cant wait to install it. Thanks @rshadd your thread was very helpful.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Okay I have always been confused by this....

When they say single adjustable they are referring only to the stiffness of the shock/strut correct?

Example: Single adjustable shocks adjust rebound and compression together where as double adjustable can adjust rebound and compression separate from one another?

So would that apply to both the Belltech and QA1 (or any other brand I guess) coilovers?

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok, after reading into more QA1 related threads, Im confused again. I talked to QA1 and they said that they include everything that I need in the colorado specific kit. They said that they upgraded the eyelet at the base of the shock so that it fits better without needing spacers. Now I read that I need the SSK bearing spacers for it to fit correctly. Im also reading that I need the SSK spring perches, but I dont understand, why would QA1 sell a complete kit that needs perches, wouldn't that be included in the "complete kit"? @The Wolf! and @DBNissan can you help me out here. I would like to order them in the next week, and I am still confused about what I need and what needs to be done. Im not sure if you read my above posts about the colorado specific kit, but QA1 said that they make a kit that comes with everything needed for instalation. They include the 500 spring and it comes with everything needed for installation. I need some help before I order.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
The thing is, all of the threads on the QA1's are based on the older DR7855P and DR5855P shocks. As far as I know, you're the first to use these newer DS602 or DS502 shocks.

Based on your discussions with QA1, it sounds like these newer shocks have been re-engineered to overcome some of the fitment issues associated with the older shocks on our trucks. The only way your going to know for sure is to take QA1 on their word and try them.

What is the part number for the Colorado specific kit?

When you say you're talking to QA1 are you actually talking to someone at QA1 or Naake?

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All the threads on the QA1's are base on the DR7855P or DR5855P shocks. As far as I know, you're the first to use the DS602 or DS502 shocks. Perhaps QA1 has re-engineered these newer shocks to overcome some of the fitment issues associated with the older shocks.

The only way your going to know for sure is to take QA1's word and try them.
That's what I'm finding out. I'm going to call them in the morning and have them email me some pics of what they are talking about. I know I have to cut and trim a little, that's no biggie. I have some research ahead of me, but on the up side I so see a How To thread in the future haha @rshadd how did yours mount at the top of the shock?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts