Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm in the middle of doing the front brakes on a 04 z71 4x4

I pulled the slider pins out to clean & grease them, but I just noticed that 2 of the slider pins have little grommets on the tips of the slider pins that go deep inside the bracket slider hole, and the other 2 are just all steel. Which slider pin (with or without grommet on the tips) goes on the top / bottom of the caliper braket. I have a service manual for the truck and it doesn't show anything about the slider pins having the grommets.

Please help quickly so I can get this thing back together.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think the grommeted tip sliders go on the top side of the bracket (in the installed position)

Can anyone confirm?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Do you have some pics?

I know the parts you are speaking of, but pics would be helpful. I believe they are interchagable from top to bottom.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i ended up needing to get the truck together so I went with how I thought they came apart, which was rubber tipped sliders going in the top holes of the abutment bracket.

I should have took pictures, but I was losing daylight and was thinking more about getting it back together.

to answer the comment about them being universal, I compared all 4 and they seem to be the same diameter and size, however the head of the sliders, one is square, the other is round with 2 flat spots (to put a wrench on to keep the slider pin from spinning).

Because they measured the same diameter & length, they all interchanged in the abutment bracket holes and everything fit the same, but I figured that some brilliant engineer thought it was needed to put little rubber tips on 2 of the sliders, so I just wanted to put them back the way they should be, but truthfully, I see no reason for the rubber tips, unless they are there as a vibration dampener of some sort. Who knows, I guess that is why those engineers get paid the big bucks to figure a reason for putting a rubber tip on 2 of the sliders.

btw, in doing a google search for colorado slider pins, I ran across this thread on another coly forum

http://coloradofans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63224&p=1002530

it talks about slider 'bushings'

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need another immediate help please

Doing the rear brakes today

Got the left (drivers) side done, no issues.

But got to the right side, and I found a clip on the adjuster.

I don't see any point to this part, and I'm not even sure if this is where the part goes, as when i pulled the adjuster out, it fell down and the parts came apart. I picked up all the parts, cleaned them, used proper brake lube on all parts & the threads and reassembed it, but this clip is throwing me off. I'm in another bit of a rush as I'd like to get the truck back together before dark and it is just this one clip that is causing the confusion. What does this clip do, is it in the right location, etc..

Please help :D

LEFT SIDE (EVERYTHING SEEMS NORMAL)

RIGHT SIDE (LOOK CLOSE AT THE ADJUSTER FOR THE CLIP)

RIGHT SIDE (CLOSE UP OF THE ADJUSTER CLIP)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't figure out any reason for that clip, other than it was in the way of letting the self adjuster work properly, so I put the brakes back together and just left it out. I don't know if someone had already did that on the left side (note, left side didn't have the clip) or if someone in the past put that clip on the right side by mistake. I can't see any need or purpose for it, so out it went. The brakes seem fine, so unless someone can give me a reason for why that clip was there, it is staying off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know this is old, but I've been having this problem myself and couldn't find the answer anywhere. So I called my local dealer and managed to speak to the shop foreman himself instead of the parts or service department, and he was able to look it up and tell me it went on the bottom.

Just wanted to make sure the next person with this issue can actually find an answer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not now, but I can take some the next time I've got it apart since I'm still fighting with them sticking. Will be replacing them shortly.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
All i can come up with is that the weight of the caliper holds down enough on the upper pin to eliminate a rattle so no need for an upper bushing. What a mystery this is.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It may be the bottom pin, but it is the leading pin as far as direction of rotation of the rotor during forwards travel goes. It probably acts as a stabilizer/shock absorber. Just a guess.....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Let me give two examples to help explain this . On my G 6 the front caliper is mounted to the hub facing forward toward the front bumper . The bolt with the bushing is in the top position , nearest to the bleeder screw , because that is the forward travel of the rotor against the pads . On the Colorado the caliper is facing the rear of the truck . That makes the leading edge of the rotor the bottom of the caliper so the pin with the bushing goes into the bottom of the caliper , opposite of the end with the bleeder screw .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts