Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front brakes on our trucks, how do they come apart? I'm at 81K now and still on the original set of pads so I'm sure sooner than later I'll be needing to replace them. I've never actually looked at the setup when I've had a tire off, but do they come apart just like mostly everything else? 2 Caliper bolts, pull the caliper off, then the rotor slides right off too? Or is it like the S-10's where you have to re-pack the bearings and whatnot? Or even more work than that?

A friend of mine had to do some at the shop he was at and he was bitching up a storm about how hard they are? Said something like you have to pull the hub off too or some crap? And he's a pretty mechanically inclined dude. So how hard are they? Might have been a retard moment for him! haha

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
We have a captured rotor, it bolts to the back of the hub. Yes, you do have to remove the hub to remove the rotor. I don't know the exact procedure though because I'm still running the stock pads as well. :lol:

I would assume you just have to remove the caliper, maybe the caliper mounting bracket, unplug the ABS, then unbolt the hub and unbolt the rotor. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Josh you homo this question has been answered soo many damn times lol. Yea you gotta unbolt the hub/rotor off from the spindle if you wanna replace the rotors. Or you can just pad slap it with new pads if the rotors don't look too grooved. Or have someone with an oncar brake lathe machine them for you.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I know. I'm just too lazy to search! Figured this would be easier/quicker! LOL

But everything just unbolts and bolts back up? There's no pressing involved with the hub? Will anything get messed up by default when you pull it apart, having to buy a new one?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I don't think there's any pressing involved bro. Ill check later on when i get some time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts