Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Colorado and the recommended tire size is 265/75r15.
If I bought some tires that were 225/75r15 will it be ok? My speedometer already reads 5 miles an hour faster than what my actual speed is.
Ex: if I am going 60 mph my actual speed is 55. (According to GPS).
I figure since the 265 tires are bigger it takes longer for a single rotation hints, why my speedometer is reading ahead of my actual speed.
So if I put 225 tires on they are smaller and might correct the speed issue???
I don't know if any of this will actually work I just want to know if I will be good with using 225/75r15 instead of 265/75r15?

·
CALI BOSS
6,326 Posts
A smaller diameter tire will make your speed difference worse. It will rotate more per mile thus making your speedometer display a higher speed

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
I have a 2007 Colorado and the recommended tire size is 265/75r15.
If I bought some tires that were 225/75r15 will it be ok? My speedometer already reads 5 miles an hour faster than what my actual speed is.
Ex: if I am going 60 mph my actual speed is 55. (According to GPS).
I figure since the 265 tires are bigger it takes longer for a single rotation hints, why my speedometer is reading ahead of my actual speed.
So if I put 225 tires on they are smaller and might correct the speed issue???
I don't know if any of this will actually work I just want to know if I will be good with using 225/75r15 instead of 265/75r15?
A smaller diameter tire will make your speed difference worse. It will rotate more per mile thus making your speedometer display a higher speed

Thanks, my speed currently runs about 5 mph slower than it actually is. So then putting smaller tires will make them spin faster hints hopefully fixing my prob.... But technically I am able to put smaller tires on and it will be ok? Like the transmission, roter, and all other things that turn the tires and wheels and not be a prob? Because it's so hard to find 265/75r15 tires. I would change rims to a more common size but the center hub is bigger than 90% of other vehicles. So I was hoping to find a smaller tire that was more common and hopefully fix my speedometer issue at the same time. But I'm afraid putting a smaller tire on there might mess other things up. (And look funny at the same time)lol

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I thought going from a 265 to a 225 just means going to a narrower tire, with no effect of sidewall height. Wouldn't you need to go from a 75 to a 70 series to get a smaller diameter? Or have I been wrong all these years?

·
CALI BOSS
6,326 Posts
Thanks.

Thanks, my speed currently runs about 5 mph slower than it actually is. So then putting smaller tires will make them spin faster hints hopefully fixing my prob.... But technically I am able to put smaller tires on and it will be ok? Like the transmission, roter, and all other things that turn the tires and wheels and not be a prob? Because it's so hard to find 265/75r15 tires. I would change rims to a more common size but the center hub is bigger than 90% of other vehicles. So I was hoping to find a smaller tire that was more common and hopefully fix my speedometer issue at the same time. But I'm afraid putting a smaller tire on there might mess other things up. (And look funny at the same time)lol
I read your original post wrong. I understood it as your speedo showed 60mph when your GPS actual speed was 55mph. Yes, smaller diameter tire will increase the speed shown on the speedo. I recommend using a tire size calculator to get more accurate than picking a size due to being common.

Try this link: Tyre Size Calculator

·
CALI BOSS
6,326 Posts
I thought going from a 265 to a 225 just means going to a narrower tire, with no effect of sidewall height. Wouldn't you need to go from a 75 to a 70 series to get a smaller diameter? Or have I been wrong all these years?
That part of the tire size does show the width of the tire tread. The 75 "series" designates the height as a measurement of percentage of tire width. So, a 265/75r15 is 265mm wide with a height of 75% of that width. Therefore, if you go to a narrower width, you will also lower the height. Example 75% of 265 = 198. 75mm. 75% of 225 = 168.75mm

Reactions: Newtoit
1 - 7 of 7 Posts