Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i use to race hobby stocks over here but i just sold my car since the tracks kept closing down. I have a bunch of parts left and i was thinking of putting my quick steer on my truck. It takes like 3 full turns from lock to lock on our trucks so i want to cut that in half. Im gonna have to do some fab work but no big deal what do you guys think? Also heres a link to explain what im talking about if you dont know. http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0502_quick_steer/index.html

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
So i use to race hobby stocks over here but i just sold my car since the tracks kept closing down. I have a bunch of parts left and i was thinking of putting my quick steer on my truck. It takes like 3 full turns from lock to lock on our trucks so i want to cut that in half. Im gonna have to do some fab work but no big deal what do you guys think? Also heres a link to explain what im talking about if you dont know. http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0502_quick_steer/index.html
zq8's already have quick ratio steering i thought?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
only thing i would be worried about is the gear reduction putting too much stress on the already POS steering setup we have.

i think increased turning radius would be ALOT better mod (if someone could figure it out).

and my 04 zq8 crew is only a little over 2 turns lock to lock.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only thing i would be worried about is the gear reduction putting too much stress on the already POS steering setup we have.

i think increased turning radius would be ALOT better mod (if someone could figure it out).

and my 04 zq8 crew is only a little over 2 turns lock to lock.
mine is the same way a little over two turns. I would love to just barely turn the wheel and it go around a corner. I totally agree we should try and figure out a way to increase our turning radius. I cant even turn on a 100 dollar bill much less a dime.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
mine is the same way a little over two turns. I would love to just barely turn the wheel and it go around a corner. I totally agree we should try and figure out a way to increase our turning radius. I cant even turn on a 100 dollar bill much less a dime.
i think you guys mean decrease your turning radius... the larger the radius the wider the turn

·
Registered
587 Posts
sia is not effected by a quick turn box or rack. it is built into the knuckles. so a quick turn will not change your steering radius. but this would be cool to have as it would definately improve steering response. with a small enough quickener (think sprint car not stock car) such as this http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0502_quick_steer/photo_08.html
it would not be that hard to do

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
you guys are missing the post. I know a quick steer wont help turning radius. I just dont want to have to turn the wheel as much cause it sucks. Another good mod would be decreasing our turning radius but that would require a bunch of different junk. Let me see what i can find on it. longer tie rods would help.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
sia is not effected by a quick turn box or rack. it is built into the knuckles. so a quick turn will not change your steering radius. but this would be cool to have as it would definately improve steering response. with a small enough quickener (think sprint car not stock car) such as this http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0502_quick_steer/photo_08.html
it would not be that hard to do

yeah, i said a "better" idea would be to decrease turning radius.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
i never even thought about this...so people that have the z71 for example have to turn their wheel more than the zq8 guys? im lost as to what quick ratio steering really is...HELP !

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i never even thought about this...so people that have the z71 for example have to turn their wheel more than the zq8 guys? im lost as to what quick ratio steering really is...HELP !
What mine is is a 2.1 ratio quick steer. Basically what it does is makes it so instead of turning the steering wheel twice to the left or right to get it to lock you only turn it once. It pretty much cuts the amount you have to turn the wheel in half for the same effect.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

think of it as a ratio as the name states. 100% would be 2.5 turns, a quick ratio gear would make 100% less/quicker so more like 1.5 turns depending on the ratio. as intimidator said a 2:1 would cut it in half. what most people dont realise is this puts tremendous pressure on your power steering pump to pump adequate amount of fluid to keep up. and also makes the force needed to turn the steering wheel increase which puts more pressure on the entire steering system.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
oOOOOoOOoh now i understand this whole dealio. Thanks schardbody!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts