Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,687 Posts
Welcome to the Nation.

If the first picture is your old original hoses, that is an old configuration. The only GM steering racks, that I'm familiar with, have the seals installed in the rack, not on the hoses. There would be no need of seals on both the rack and the hoses. The situation that you have is that the holes for the seals have to be the same, in the new rack, as the old rack. In other words, if you use the old hoses with the O rings, the hole has to be the same or you will not get a seal, or the hose won't go in the hole. You cannot use the old hoses with the new rack if the new seals are installed in the rack.

Remove the O rings from the original hose and check their fit in the holes in the rack. If the fit is snug, try just using the original hoses without the new rack seals. If that won't work you will have to use the rack seals and the correct hoses.

Hope some of that makes sense. If you are now more confused than before, post back and I'll try to explain better.

Don't damage or lose the new rack seals. They are hard to come by.

·
Premium Member
3,687 Posts
I don't think the color of the O-rings matters. All of the O.rings should be resistant to the fluid. Maybe the color designates the size. I would just match the O-ring sizes with the ones on the old hose.

Normally steering racks come with new hose seals. There are no seals installed in the rack? Maybe the rack is like your old rack and the old hoses, with O-rings, will fit.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,687 Posts
Probably the easiest and least expensive way out ot this is to purchase the hoses that fit the rack you have installed.

Take a look at these on RockAuto:

FVP 92493, pressure and 92492 return.
Edelmann 92493, pressure and 92492 return
Gates 365906, pressure and 365905 return

RockAuto also has the OEM ACDelco hose set (both) pn15136891, but the price is quite a bit more.

Not sure how easy it will be to install the seals. The Service Manual says to drop the rack to replace the seals. They will have to be installed before the hoses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts