Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know i could probably find this information if i looked hard enough, but figured someone could help me save some time.

Looking for which shocks to run with a 5-6" (5" cst, maybe with some crank) lift in the front and 5-6" (4" skyjacker leafs and 2" shackles) in the back. Note on 2011 Chevy Colorado 5.3L V8.

Skyjacker Front -?
Skyjacker Back -?

Ranch Front - RS5610
Ranch Back - RS5190

Also Rancho or Skyjacker for busy daily driver quality?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I don't have the shock numbers memorized, but I do know that the Skyjacker leaf packs are only good for 2.5" lift. I got ~3" on initial instal, but like all springs, they will settle a bit.

So, with 2" shackles and the leaf packs, you will get about 4.5" lift.

Sometimes that are mislabeled as 4", since they can be bought with the 4" lift kit.

Also, I have the Skyjacker Hydro shocks. They are ok, nothing special really. I don't love them or hate them. The truck rides a little rougher on city streets after lifting, but a part of that is probably due to the leaf springs being different.
Part numbers for the Hydro shocks that normally come with the Skyjacker kit are:
- H7040
- H7084
I also have a 1" shackle, and the rear driveshaft gets pretty close to the cross member at full droop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I was just thinking the skyjackers because they are cheaper.

Yeah, the Skyjackers are really cheap. That's why I got them. I'd do it again. I have around 40,000km on mine. After only one winter they are starting to rust though. Some people suggest an extra coat of paint before installing them. I did not take that advice.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
163 Posts
When picking your front shocks just base it off of the CST lift. Cranking the torsion bars doesn't change the suspension travel, just indexes it higher.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
When picking your front shocks just base it off of the CST lift. Cranking the torsion bars doesn't change the suspension travel, just indexes it higher.
yes it does, it will kill your droop and over-extend your shocks... IT IS possible to achieve more droop on longer shocks, this is true for both front AND rear application... specially the rear.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
^yep,,, and if your considering the cst I would use their shocks or some equal length ones, I would guess rancho or skyjacker would be about an inch shorter. Most all shocks recommended for stock or lift are going to max before full droop. It's not too big of an issue unless your cranked because then your front end is going to unload much easier than stock. Same thing with adding aals or shackles, they may stretch to reach on level ground but lift it 2" and you lose 2" down travel if you keep the same shocks, unless they were already much longer than needed

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
well, for those that dont hit the trails at all or dont really offroad that much it might no matter that much, but for those of us who offroad alot.. the more droop the better.

·
fortune's a mistress
939 Posts
Do not base your shick purhase off that CST kit. The CST kit sells a 5" subframe lift with a 3" rear lift. If you buy the CST shocks they will be maxed out.

If you don't want to buy Rancho's, which are already cheap shocks to begin with then buy something else based off the ones you have listed. I gave you those shock product numbers because I am already running them. So you'll be safe with those providing you don't crank the front end too much as you'll blow them, I already blew through both my front shocks and replaced them when I had too much crank.

Speaking of cheap shocks... Why even bother lifting your truck if Ranchos are too much money?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Do not base your shick purhase off that CST kit. The CST kit sells a 5" subframe lift with a 3" rear lift. If you buy the CST shocks they will be maxed out.

If you don't want to buy Rancho's, which are already cheap shocks to begin with then buy something else based off the ones you have listed. I gave you those shock product numbers because I am already running them. So you'll be safe with those providing you don't crank the front end too much as you'll blow them, I already blew through both my front shocks and replaced them when I had too much crank.

Speaking of cheap shocks... Why even bother lifting your truck if Ranchos are too much money?
i agree with this post... and yes, running maxed out shocks on a cranked front end Will blow them... i went through two skyjacker shocks, i was already planning on the bilstein's since day one, i just ran those shocks first because they came included in my lift kit, they held up for about 4 months.. :ugh: haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts