Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all ive got performance wise is a K&N filter, cat mod and custom exhaust. (So far). When im on the freeway doing like 75ish and punch it my truck seems to just fly and the RPMs are way up there. Now normally my truck craps out past 4 grand or so im guessing cause of the powerband. My question is, am i getting some sort of ram air effect from the speed? My air box lid is open but that really shouldnt make a difference. So whats the deal? Anyone?

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
if you have an auto my guess would be that it just isnt getting as much tq management thrown at it... and craps out past 4 grand normally? t hats when my gets a kick in the ass.... so i dont know

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think you're getting anything from the lid being open...Mav has a scan gauge and it actually reads 30 degrees hotter with the box lid off...:shrug:

Dunno guy, it's probably the mods + the I5...I know on the freeway with the cat mod, my I4 livens up quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think you're getting anything from the lid being open...Mav has a scan gauge and it actually reads 30 degrees hotter with the box lid off...:shrug:

Dunno guy, it's probably the mods + the I5...I know on the freeway with the cat mod, my I4 livens up quite a bit.
well hell i should put that shit back on then. just to see, i havent had it on for a long time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Heh.

If you wanna get into the ram air portion of it, try and drill like a 1/2" hole in your box and run a tube into somewhere like your lower valance grill...although other boards say it doesn't help, I beg to differ. ;)

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im working on an intake right now that implements the ram air effect kinda like what i had on my vett so we'll see if it works i'll let you guys know how it goes when i finish it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
So all ive got performance wise is a K&N filter, cat mod and custom exhaust. (So far). When im on the freeway doing like 75ish and punch it my truck seems to just fly and the RPMs are way up there. Now normally my truck craps out past 4 grand or so im guessing cause of the powerband. My question is, am i getting some sort of ram air effect from the speed? My air box lid is open but that really shouldnt make a difference. So whats the deal? Anyone?
what speeds are you guys traveling at when it craps out @ 4k rpms?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Heh.

If you wanna get into the ram air portion of it, try and drill like a 1/2" hole in your box and run a tube into somewhere like your lower valance grill...although other boards say it doesn't help, I beg to differ. ;)
1/2" isn't going to get you much. :p Mine ram air tube is 3"

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
3" tube through the radiator support, down to the valance. leave the stock inlet open and put ur lid back on. it does work son.

-brad

·
0 Posts
This is just my opinion...I don't think the 'ram air' thing everyone is doing is really ram air, its more of a true cold air intake than anything...After all of the bends the air has to make its lost most of its velocy, at that point its being sucked by the engine not pushed by the pressure of the incoming air...I'm not saying it doesn't work, if the air is that much cooler it would make a difference but...its just not ram air :shrug:

Ram Air: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram-air_intake

Cold Air: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
:yeahthat:

That's the way I've always felt about it as well. It can help, and may be a worthwhile mod but it's not really 'ram air'. But whatever though, po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
ive been all over the "ram air" threads and i will be the first to say the "ram" effect of it is a joke(imo) BUT that mod DOES give you some nice cold air. and keeps engine temps down noticeably. thats why im so pro-"ram air" :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts