Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been chasing this rattle/clunk type of sound from the driver front area for the better part of a month. My 08 Colorado has 132K on it (almost all highway miles). The following is the symptomology and what I have replaced/checked, etc. This sound is only present up to about 30mph and really noticeable under deceleration till it comes to a complete stop. 4WD engaged or not makes no difference to the noise. The only change or frequency of occurrence that makes the sound more prominent is if the weight is on the passenger side as I am rolling through a left turn, then you kind of hear it a little more. It decreases a bit when weight is on the drive side and rolling through a right turn but still present. Thus far i have replaced:

Wheel Hub Bearing Driver Side
Upper and Lower Ball joints Driver Side
Engine Mount Driver Side
CV Shaft Driver Side
U Joints from the Main Drive Shaft

I have checked:
Hood hinges
Hood Mounts
Fender Mounts
Body Mounts

I have eliminated:
Sway brace links (disconnected the sway bar completely and the sound still exists)
Engine: I put it in neutral and got it rolling to the above mentioned speed and shut off the engine, sound still exists.
Tires: I completely removed the 31" Firestone Mud Terrains in place of other tires and the sound is still present.

Driveline: I put all four wheels up on jack stands and ran it up to the affected speed in both 2WD and 4WD with no sound present.

My conclusion is that this is a weight on wheels problem/rattle. My last ditch effort is front shock replacement as I have found they are both worn out. I am doubtful of this but at this point I am lost.

Anything guys?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I have a clunk sound that I found the location of. Drivers front. Found it one day laying on my back under the truck and using a deadhead mallet when I hit the 4X4 actuator housing, not the actuator it self, I duplicated the clunk. When the weather finally gets better, I'll pull stuff apart .... unless something breaks before hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well time will tell if I can add shocks to the list this evening. Although a cursory inspection of the 4WD actuator wouldn't hurt. It's just a couple of bolts and a electrical connector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I thought I once again found the holy grail as the passenger front shock came out in two pieces. It rides a lot better but the noisy rattle/clunk is still present. I would say its a little diminished with the new shocks but it is still there.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
i have a pretty similar sound when turning right and sounds just inside the dashboard passenger side. I´m waiting for having some time to take the glove box off and see what da hell is going on inside the dash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts