Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently I have noticed that when I turn sharply, something it sounds like under the truck rattles. I tested it out in the parking lot, when I turn it even in park, it will make a rattling noise like a plate or something is loose. I can not pin point the noise but it sounds like it is directly under the truck like directly under where the radio is inside for a reference point. Could there be some kind of bracket or something that is rattling? I'm guessing since it is when I am turning, it only makes the noise when the turning is in a bind. Any suggestions on what it could be or what to check? Or anyone with this same problem??? Thanks in advance! Want to make sure it is nothing that could be serious!

·
Members Technical Staff
2,499 Posts
Can you get the truck up on jack stands and have someone turn the wheel for you?

·
Registered
994 Posts
God help me, I've used a couple of turns of rope around the steering wheel, out the window, and pulled back/forth while on ground watching the damn frontend move.
Redneck as hell but gets the job done when you gotta get it done by yourself.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Guy said the cat converter was bad. And he quoted $250 for the parts and labor. Pretty good deal ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

If you do that make for gosh darn sure they give you your old cat back. Those things are worth alot. He will probably sell it to the scrap yard for close to what you pay him for the job. Doubling his profits.

My ex girlfriends dad used to do it haha

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Call shop number two and get a quote. If quotes are similar than yeah it's a good deal. If one is cheaper than the other, then one is a good deal, one not so much?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 08 canyon 2.9 and mine doing a nasty clanging under middle of truck too. Thought was cv shaft because when you turn sharp left it makes it and sounds very similar. Thought was something to do with 4x4. Did you figure out problem?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
That post was 7 years ago. Might be better starting a new thread. Jack up the front right wheel off the ground and grab the tire at 12:00 and 6:00 and see if there is any "play". If so, you need to replace that hub bearing assembly. Usually, if it's worn out bad enough to make that kind of racket, you'll have an ABS light on too. Do you have that? I'd look at motor mounts too. Have someone look under the hood while you shift from neutral into reverse and from neutral into drive with the brake on. The motor will have movement if the motor mounts are worn out or broken.
Let us know what you find.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts