Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At start up, I am hearing a Rattling noise or a vibration type sound coming from the front of the engine. It goes away after a few minutes. I do know it is almost quiet right after an oil change. It is not a tapping or knock, it is a sound new to me with engines. This 04 Colorado has over 166, 000 miles on it, and is the first Colorado I have had. I am wondering if it is the timing chain or something in that area? I am not low on oil, ( like I was on the ATF,LOL) I know about the tube on the ear trick to find the area, but I already know it is at the front of the Motor. Thanks for advance for any help. BTW, how do I get a medal for the mileage like some members have? Ok take care, G

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a must do right away thing,and is it a chain or belt? I just feel that is what it is, and I am afraid it is an expensive repair. But, it has to be done,so I may have to sell cans, LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this same noise as you have described too. Some of the stuff on this site says they are noisier engines and that noise is common, but I haven't found anything concrete enough to try. I need to check and see if it might be my belt tensioner, but if thats not it, I was going to have a mechanic look at replacing the timing chain and the guides along with new gears.

When you find out what yours is, let me know! Haha

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering about the belt tension pulley also. I was thinking that the Alternator was putting a strain on the belt after start up, and when the battery was satisfied again, the strain(noise) stopped. The only thing seems strange is after an oil change, the noise is less, I think, getting old,and have CRS. LOL. I will keep on until I find it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Agree w/others...probably a tensioner, or your serpentine belt's due for replacement. How't the belt condition (e.g. cracked, dryrot, shiny)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope it holds together a little while longer, when it warms up, stops raining etc, then I plan to replace the belt with the best brand I can. (any recommendations?)At that time, I will go ahead and replace the belt tensioner as well. Thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2009 that i just bought starts so fast but kind of a loud vibration noise as its starting.Not starter noise a all though.Stopps as soon as running.....Motor mounts????

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Our trucks have timing chain tensioners that work off of oil pressure. So, when you first crack up your truck, the timing chain is loose and rattles a little until you build oil pressure and the tensioner is able to take the slack out of the chain. There are oil filters that have some kind of valve in them that are supposed to stop the oil from draining out when you turn the truck off. I've used those and they seem to work well for a little while, but then the noise comes back again at start up. That may explain your noticing that it doesn't happen right after an oil change. Usually when your timing chain is worn out and getting "sloppy", you'll get codes. I would follow the advice of bk2life and eliminate all belt-driven items. That's a very simple, logical way to narrow down the possible causes. And after you shut the truck off with the belt still off you can spin, "wiggle" and examine all of the pullies to see if any aren't spinning smoothly.
Good luck and Merry Christmas!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts