Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just dropped my 07 xtreme and now there is a rattling coming from the front of the truck... i dont know what it is and ive searched for this problem on a couple of colorado sites... i have a crew cab with 4203 springs cut down one coil on the pass. and half on the driver.... it rides perfect but the only thing is when i hit small bumps there is a metal on metal sounding rattle from the front end.... it doesnt make any sound if i hit a bigger bump only on small bumps that make the truck kinda vibrate rather than bounce... a couple of friends was thinking that after cutting the spring it made it too short for the strut... i also have the stock bumpstops on so the front only has about 1/2 inch of travel up... i drove it for 2 days and jacked it up and looked at the spring it looks like it moved counter clockwise cuz its not sitting in the top perch where we mounted it... its about 2 inches back.... im gonna try take off the bumpstops and see if that helps but i wanted to know if anyone else had this problem? or knows how to fix it.... if not looks like im gonna put it back to stock cuz this is a brand new truck and i dont wanna mess nothing up...

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
I had cut 4203's for a long time and flatman has them on his truck now with no problems. When you put the springs back on the shocks did they fit loose or was there still some tension on the springs?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
there is tension.... even when i jack it up i cant physically move the springs **edit** on second thought after we put the springs in we could move it just a little bit to line it up.... i was thinking its the bumpstop maybe because when the lca hits it it stops in place and the truck goes up uncompressing the spring.... but i dunno is there anything else under there that could cause the rattle...? btw this didnt happen till a day or so after i installed the spring so i thought it just happened when the spring settled..

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Then its probly not the springs. I cut the same amount off my truck. The springs are going to move a little bit and settle thats normal.

I did not remove my bump stop and I was fine.

Double check the sway bar endlinks. Make sure there connected back up.

Give me some more detail of the noise and where you think its coming from exactley. Are you sure its not coming from behind the dash?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well its definatley coming from outside cuz i cant hear it unless the windows are down.... and it sounds like my old 240 when a heatshield loose... it wouldnt bother me if my truck didnt have paper plates on it

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh yeah and i didnt remove the swaybar to put the springs in... ive taken the wheel off everyday since i dropped it and tried to shake everything and nothing is loose

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK!!! found it i just went outside and shook the shit out of everything.... i guess the truck needed to be on the ground but the swaybar is whats making the noise..... next step... how to fix it?? its rattling at the control arm i dunno if its the bottom or the top of the straight rod

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
omg i dont have a drop and have 4wd but i have been getting a rattle that sounds EXACTLY like what you described...when its done raining im gonna have to go check it out... i havent been able to figure it out and its been driving me insane... let us know if you fix it and what it was. pics are always good too!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I dropped my truck and I'm getting this rattling noise from the rear actually. IDK if I have to go back and put locktight on all the nuts and bolts and retighten.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so what does this mean? do i have to buy new end links for the swaybar?? do they make adjustable ones?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
OK!!! found it i just went outside and shook the shit out of everything.... i guess the truck needed to be on the ground but the swaybar is whats making the noise..... next step... how to fix it?? its rattling at the control arm i dunno if its the bottom or the top of the straight rod
Sounds like you didn't fully tighten down the endlinks after you reconnected the swaybar.

Tighten them down and see if it still rattles.

·
I fell over the edge
2,261 Posts
I have a rattle comming from mine but it sounds liek its comming from the glovebox area anybody else have this problem. i've emptied the glovebox out and it still rattles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you didn't fully tighten down the endlinks after you reconnected the swaybar.

Tighten them down and see if it still rattles.
i didnt remove them to change the springs..... but i just found out that my friend used a jack between the uca and lca to spread them apart to get the spring in.... maybe that damaged them... i wasnt there for it i had to run to the store... could i just buy new endlinks.... and if i do should i get shorter ones?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok thanks guys especially brewer youve saved me time and money ill post some pics of the truck with the drop.... i love it its perfectly level

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
welli have a front end rattle but it only does it when i turn the wheel and hit a bump it sounds like somethin is hammering almots sounds like a fucked shock but i did the bounce test and nothin and this too when im coming dn my camp road and im bumping over the stones it sounds like there is a lug nut rolling around in my center cap or somethin. idk what the hell it is but i know that its annoying as fuck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah my truck does that too only when i back up sometimes sounds like a lugnut in my centercap

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
well mine is def from the lower drivers side of the engine bay and sounds like a loose heatshield would. it only does it when i hit bumps or am on a dirt road or somethin. i cant find the damn thing

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
The endlinks and hardware will run you about $70 in change from the stealership(for both). Also be careful on torqueing them on. I was in a hurry and got a little happy with the impact gun and broke the bolt off the endlink. My dealer had to order them.

My only rattling issue is the damn grill right now. Those cheap ass clips have woren out.:dawg:

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts