Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there ever consider re-painting their truck. My truck is silver, which is great and all but for some reason I really dislike the color. A lot of people I talk to tell me to never paint a car, it ruins the value and etc. The paint on my truck is not damaged nor faded, I just simply could care less for silver. I don't think I am skilled enough to paint it myself so I would have it professionally done....but I'm not too sure with the decision yet. Anyone think this is a waste of time? stupid? any opinions?

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
You could always wrap it.. Fade2Black did his and it looks good.

If nothing was wrong with the paint other than the color I would leave it alone. Unless you have some connections or could do it yourself its going to cost you a pretty penny.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow!, i didn't even realize vinyl wrap as an option. FADE2BLACK claims it cost around $500 for the wrap...and I am sure as hell not gonna do it myself haha. Do you think the wrap and the labor would be more than just a re-paint?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Obviously it'll cost you a pretty penny. If you plan to keep the truck for a long time and money isn't an issue then yeah paint it. If you plan to keep it a few years and sell it or don't want to spends a couple grand on painting it, then leave it be and live with the color you bought.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Yea unless u plan on keeping it for a while I think it's just a waste....to much money for not much reward...but u can look into doin a wrap...pretty cheap and will change the color, or the new hot thing is plasti dip.....u can get a whole car kit for like 400 I wanna say...then when it comes time to sell u can leave it the new color or peel it off, o it's back to silver

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Dip! The kit is actually 450 like after tax and handling

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wrapping in Orlando by people who can do it right and look good is about 1500-2000. Personally I would fork out the little extra for paint unless you one to change your mind often. Plus in my case, I plan on keeping the truck a while so by the time I trade it in the value wont be much to begin with and a repaint probably wouldnt change the value either direction. The problem with silver though, is you will have the engine bay and some other areas still showing the old color.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Wrap idea wouldn't be a bad option, just to give an idea, most places here START at like $4,000 for a single color (factory pack) paint job. No body work, nothing custom and honestly don't think that is door jams, seams, and all that
Depending where you are from and caliber of painter/shop to if that price goes down any or how high it will go

If your gunna keep truck a long while, and you got the $$$$. Have it painted. Make it your own.
My opinion

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
I got quoted at 7000 to do a 1 tone custom paint job.

·
Darth Vader
5,223 Posts
Yea unless u plan on keeping it for a while I think it's just a waste....to much money for not much reward...but u can look into doin a wrap...pretty cheap and will change the color, or the new hot thing is plasti dip.....u can get a whole car kit for like 400 I wanna say...then when it comes time to sell u can leave it the new color or peel it off, o it's back to silver
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was just thinking, silver is a good base if you want to do flashy and go candy paint. If paint is good it should save you some money because I don't think much prep will need to be done. I am not to familiar with the proceed before the final coats though.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'll probably be keeping my truck for a while so I have a feeling its either Plastidip or Vinyl wrap. The only problem with re-painting it is, not only is it expensive as hell, but the fact that once it's done there is no going back. Plastidip and Vinyl wrap, obviously it can be removed and probably a lot cheaper route. If Platidip is around $450 and Vinyl wrap is around $1500-2000, i think vinyl wrap might be a bit safer to try. I've Plastidiped my bumper but nothing bigger than that, how hard do you think doing it would be?

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
when I wraped my truck it was the first time I ever attempted a full vehicle wrap. I have used vinyl in the past and you do need some skill and some know how but there are videos on YouTube that can teach you tricks of the trade. If you get sick of the color in a few years just remove and start from scratch. I am going to blackout my bumpers and I just ordered a roll of 3M matte Black!

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
Wow!, i didn't even realize vinyl wrap as an option. FADE2BLACK claims it cost around $500 for the wrap...and I am sure as hell not gonna do it myself haha. Do you think the wrap and the labor would be more than just a re-paint?
It will cost $2500-$3500 for a professional to wrap your truck! Fuck that. .DO IT YOURSELF! :th_woot:

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Lol I do :D Actually the cost of the standard pro truck kit, gallon backpack hopper, and predip spray was 491.35 I believe. Course with out that stuff it's still like 430-450

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It will cost $2500-$3500 for a professional to wrap your truck! Fuck that. .DO IT YOURSELF! :th_woot:
Damn, that's a lot. Yea it does sound better now to do it myself haha. Alright then, looks like i'm gonna be ordering some wraps, hopefully it'll turn out alright. Thanks a lot for the help and opinions guys.
:salute:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts