Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it's possible (as in not very hard) to swap our rear end for the rear end out of the S-10? Just wondering because it seems that an H3 swap would be rather expensive and I'm wanting to go with rear discs. Also doing the swap would convert to 5 lug (at least in the rear) and I don't think it'd be too hard to figure out how to do the same to the front (probably as easy as a hub swap I thinking). Anyone have any opinions on this?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
:yeahthat:

Also, if you're talking about going with the 7.625 10 bolt which is the most common in S10's I think you'd be wasting your time. It's a pretty weak setup. If anything I'd look into an 8.5" 10 bolt from a full size, you can get them in the right lug pattern although you may have to have it narrowed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:yeahthat:

Also, if you're talking about going with the 7.625 10 bolt which is the most common in S10's I think you'd be wasting your time. It's a pretty weak setup. If anything I'd look into an 8.5" 10 bolt from a full size, you can get them in the right lug pattern although you may have to have it narrowed.
Never really thought about using the full size rear end ... hmmm. I think I know where one is for free. :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
you know we do have a rear disc upgrade right? although i believe you have to upgrade the fronts and the rears altogether.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Never really thought about using the full size rear end ... hmmm. I think I know where one is for free. :)
It'd be better all around IMO. It's a lot stronger if built with the right parts and has a ton of aftermarket backing it so you can get almost any gear ratio you want with any style of LSD or Locker.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
tell us more about the dics brake upgrade
Not really anything to tell. It's been out for almost 2 years, it's made by Stainless Steel Brakes Co. (SSBC). It's not cheap and few are willing to pay the price for the full front/rear setup.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not really anything to tell. It's been out for almost 2 years, it's made by Stainless Steel Brakes Co. (SSBC). It's not cheap and few are willing to pay the price for the full front/rear setup.
Exactly why I'm looking at other options. AND the fact that if I used a full sized rear it'd be stronger along with more aftermarket options.

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
could also try swaping in TB axles and front spindles it might work

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry it's early, but what is TB?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
TB = TrailBlazer. It has the same rear axle as us but a different lug pattern.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
O ... haha. Now I feel like a 'tard.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you don't mind losing a lug, why not a Ford 8.8. Most come with disks, they are stronger and for really really....really cheap, you can make them almost bulletproof.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you don't mind losing a lug, why not a Ford 8.8. Most come with disks, they are stronger and for really really....really cheap, you can make them almost bulletproof.
I'd have to change the front over as well ...

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Why do you need the whole rear axle? Get all of the brake components from it, redrill the rotors for the correct lug pattern and see if it bolts up. It's the same axle as us so I don't really see why it wouldn't.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why do you need the whole rear axle? Get all of the brake components from it, redrill the rotors for the correct lug pattern and see if it bolts up. It's the same axle as us so I don't really see why it wouldn't.
I want the whole thing because it has the 4.1 gearing in it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts