Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
King in the North
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had brake work done today. The shop called and said there's a rusted out hole in the rear differential and it's leaking fluid. Wanted $300+ to repair. Of course I declined.

Now I'm searching and see that the OEM differential cover is discontinued. And I'm having trouble finding an aftermarket replacement. Can anyone offer me some help please??

2005 Z71 LS 4x4 Crew Cab 3.5L i5

I work at a machine shop. So I'm guessing worst case scenario I can have a co-worker weld up the hole?? Yay or nay? Haven't went to pick up the truck yet, so I haven't seen the hole myself yet.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Re: Rear Differential Cover

Chances are they knocked the hole in it trying to make extra $$$
Good luck with the fix !!!

·
King in the North
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Chances are they knocked the hole in it trying to make extra $$$
Good luck with the fix !!!
It wouldn't surprise me honestly. I know how these shops can be. It can't be horribly bad because there's no spots or puddles in my driveway, unless the drums were just holding it all.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts

If you had a leak prior to taking it to be serviced you would have known it... They should be a law passed that you as a consumer should be able to watch any and all work being done to your vehicle... IMO

·
King in the North
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

Im going off what their web catalog lists so it should. Call them cause new replacement parts are starting to be a pain in the ass to find. In for updates also man.

·
King in the North
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Im going off what their web catalog lists so it should. Call them cause new replacement parts are starting to be a pain in the ass to find. In for updates also man.
I'll keep you posted. The part # on the sheet from the shop was 742A758 which is an O'Reilly part for a PowerTorque cover. I went to O'Reilly, they said the vendor has 0 in stock. So dead end there.

Might just order the cheapie from RockAuto and return if incompatible. Waiting to see if anyone else chimes in first.

·
King in the North
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

No help over the phone. Basically all I got was, double check your vehicle specs, if it says it's a match there ya go....

Was hoping for a picture or dimension specs, but couldn't get anything. Went ahead and ordered. Will update.

·
King in the North
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, package arrived today from Rock Auto.

Drumroll......

You ARE the father! The cover is a perfect match. Steel, $40 plus shipping. Here are some photos I snapped. Very much relieved that this fit, and I hope this helps anyone else looking to replace their rear differential cover do to rust like mine.

Special thanks to @Joe canyon for the link and the information, you saved the day Joe!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Glad I could help make that happen for you and thanks to Rock Auto for the accurate and up to date listings in their online catalog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought my '05 Colorado LS Z71 crew cab two years ago. Had it to the mechanic here and there for different things here and there. When I had the fluids swapped in the diffs, transfer case and tranny, he called and told me that the rear diff cover was rusting and couldn't find a replacement for it. He cleaned it up and painted it for me. Said maybe I'd get a year or two out of it. I've seen the stamped steel diff cover on Rock Auto and other places and it looks exactly like what's on my truck now. Really not interested in that as I live in the rustbelt and salt is commonly used during winter.

Amazon says that a B&M 71502 will fit. I've seen some bad reviews for this cover on other vehicles but not the Colorado. Anyone out there know if this will work for me? I'm about to order it, but thought I'd take a stab at some opinions on the forums first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you buy the pricey B&M 71502 cover? If so, did it work?
So far I've purchased two, based on Rock Auto's site, neither fit.
First I bought, showed out of stock so I purchased the "matching" one from Amazon, which also said it fit and matched model#, doesn't.
Second purchase:
USA STANDARD GEAR USA32030 Polished Aluminum Cover Info
Rear; 8.6", 8.2" and 8.5" GM
Sadly, matches the hole pattern of the first, which doesn't fit, either.

I've checked Yukon Gear and Axle, which directs me to their distributors, but I'm not a little gun shy of buying a supposedly fitting cover.

Any additional suggestions from guys/gals smarter than me, would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Using OP information with the model number from his cover, I found that model on Yukon Gear & Axle's site, eventually finding a seller - Summit Racing to get the same model YP C5-GM8.0 32360 which priced nicely at $44+shipping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you buy the pricey B&M 71502 cover? If so, did it work?
So far I've purchased two, based on Rock Auto's site, neither fit.
First I bought, showed out of stock so I purchased the "matching" one from Amazon, which also said it fit and matched model#, doesn't.
Second purchase:
USA STANDARD GEAR USA32030 Polished Aluminum Cover Info
Rear; 8.6", 8.2" and 8.5" GM
Sadly, matches the hole pattern of the first, which doesn't fit, either.

I've checked Yukon Gear and Axle, which directs me to their distributors, but I'm not a little gun shy of buying a supposedly fitting cover.

Any additional suggestions from guys/gals smarter than me, would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Using OP information with the model number from his cover, I found that model on Yukon Gear & Axle's site, eventually finding a seller - Summit Racing to get the same model YP C5-GM8.0 32360 which priced nicely at $44+shipping.
I actually purchased a pricey PML 11035. Hope it fits as I'm dropping the truck off to the mechanic on Thursday to have that and a few other things done.

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
I actually purchased a pricey PML 11035. Hope it fits as I'm dropping the truck off to the mechanic on Thursday to have that and a few other things done.
I got the PML on mine... yeah pricey but it holds more oil, has easily accessible fill plug and magnetic drain plug so no more pulling the cover off just to change the fluid.

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
For reference

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the PML on mine... yeah pricey but it holds more oil, has easily accessible fill plug and magnetic drain plug so no more pulling the cover off just to change the fluid.
Picked up my truck yesterday. The PML 11035 fit perfectly. I had them fill it with Amsoil 75w-90 Severe Gear Lube. Between the lube and the cooling fins on the differential cover, I'll have nothing to worry about. The added bonus definitely is the fill and drain plugs. Big reason why I went with the PML.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts