Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how come gm did away with the standard rear discs back in 05? i know they still come with them but not all of them like the 99-04 modles.even the base modles had them.anwho just wondering:D

Z

·
0 Posts
99-04 silverados(or 03) have full disc brakes. In 04/05 they got cheap and went to drums

As for why....its GM. They must have realized that they could get the same stopping ability with cheap ass drum brakes out back as they had with the 4wheel disc brakes.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah,thats what i thought but i didnt know if there was a technical reasoning. the thought kinda popped in my head today while driving beside one.pointless thread i know but thanks for the input

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I'm pretty sure the reason they stopped using drum rears are because they were having problems with the parking brake holding.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah, that pissed me off. I didnt even think to check until after I bought the truck...

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I'm pretty sure the reason they stopped using drum rears are because they were having problems with the parking brake holding.
Right if you guys ever drive a fullsize GM from those years youll notice the parking brake sucks from the factory, that shitty ass horseshow design brake shoe inside the drum never worked quite right. But weird part is they kept the disc brakes on the SUVs.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Aren't discs still optional though? Did they revise the parking brake or do you just have the option to have a shitty parking brake and discs? :lol:

Most full sizers are auto's anyway, so who really needs a parking brake. :D

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I think the rear discs are optional on the LTs i think but the fix for the early ones was just updated shoes with an updated clip that help the shoe in the correct position and just to resurface the inner drum of the rotor.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I see. Do you by chance know the diameter of the rear rotor on the full size truck's discs? :D

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I can find it, it's no big deal I just didn't feel like looking right now because I have to go get ready for work. :lol:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think the rear disks only come with the 1500's if you get the VortecMax package which is the 6L, heavy duty rear and all that jazz. For an extra 900 bucks for all that, its SO worth it...I wish I got it :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts