Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv been cruising around some. Found some lift info, found a couple of long travel kits. What are you guys doing for rear long travel? Anyone running a custom deaver setup? I know deaver doesn't exactly make a long travel leaf for these trucks. We were making new shackles for our truck and got our head thinking. Here's shackles we were building for our truck. We are ditching the tube style for something a little different. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1408084189.740213.jpg

·
Registered
664 Posts
Those shackles look close to the ones I just built for mine. Minus the bbm logo and all.

As far as rear travel goes, the most common way ive seen is a set of toyota leafs, like f67s or something like that and make them work. Atlas I believe has made a couple sets for guys on here also but as it sits theres nothing that is designed for the colorado. (as far as Im aware at least). Personally I would love to see someone make a spring under lt kit like dmz had awhile back for tacos. Dont know how many people would be willing to buy something like that but having the option would always be nice

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Your better off swapping the rear for something with disc brakes and a bigger diff. Then you just cut the tubes clean and make some new spring perches set at the proper pinion angle for the new lift. For springs I've seen guys with deavers and we have 52" chevy leafs factory. If you tell them that they should be able to make you a set.

That's the best way to ensure yourself the best results. You eliminate the shitty drums, get added strength, and proper pinion angle for the new ride height.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think running an F67 would the best route to gain the most travel. H70 will be too much spring for the average truck. This shackles I made are for our Toyota shop truck. We have a bit of experience with the Toyota setup.

Maybe we can design a few parts as we do have shackles designs, ubolt eliminator designed, all we would need is a front hanger and some shock mounts.

As much as we like increasing the strength of the rear axle many times it's not in the budget for the adverse guy. Our Toyota is running a ford 9" for stength.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
It'd be a tough sell for the work you would put in designing it. Not many people spend a lot of money on lifting, those that do make most the stuff themselves. If you did a basic shackle and if needed a new front hanger design that used a better spring pack and sat 4-5" higher than stock you could sell a few of those.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lifting and long travel are a little different in my opinion. Lifting is more looks over performance. Long travel is usually performance. Deaver makes a lift spring pack for the Colorado but it's special order. Those springs will gain you 13-14" of travel max where long travel will get you about 18-21" of travel. Long travel leafs do require custom spring hangers, shackles, perches and shock mounts.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
There's maybe 7 trucks total with long travel front suspension that would need it and the kits are $3500 without shocks so I don't see many more showing up that would require a set-up like that.

There's not a lot of big spenders here in that department. The 4wd trucks have crappy front diffs and no long travel available currently so most SAS, and the 2wds seem to stick to the spindle lifts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's maybe 7 trucks total with long travel front suspension that would need it and the kits are $3500 without shocks so I don't see many more showing up that would require a set-up like that.

There's not a lot of big spenders here in that department. The 4wd trucks have crappy front diffs and no long travel available currently so most SAS, and the 2wds seem to stick to the spindle lifts.

Makes sense. Long travel in General is expensive. Anything using factory spindle is usually around 2200-2500. Anything with a spindle is 3000+ usually. Both expensive and have there's pros and cons.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Makes sense. Long travel in General is expensive. Anything using factory spindle is usually around 2200-2500. Anything with a spindle is 3000+ usually. Both expensive and have there's pros and cons.
Most guys on this site really dont understand just where the price for long travel stuff comes from. It adds up real quick between heims, uniballs, misalignments, and all the other small knick knacks not to mention the amount of time and effort is spent making stuff like this. As a result any time anyone offers something with a price tag over 1500 bucks it gets flaq for being too expensive and not worth it. Basically this site doesnt really have the market for long travel. Better off posting on DR as pointless as that would be these days. I personally would love to see a kit to use a toyota type setup in the rear. Like you mentioned earlier, stock replacements just arent worth it in my opinion. Maybe like a WIY kit for the U bolt eliminators could help keep cost down?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most guys on this site really dont understand just where the price for long travel stuff comes from. It adds up real quick between heims, uniballs, misalignments, and all the other small knick knacks not to mention the amount of time and effort is spent making stuff like this. As a result any time anyone offers something with a price tag over 1500 bucks it gets flaq for being too expensive and not worth it. Basically this site doesnt really have the market for long travel. Better off posting on DR as pointless as that would be these days. I personally would love to see a kit to use a toyota type setup in the rear. Like you mentioned earlier, stock replacements just arent worth it in my opinion. Maybe like a WIY kit for the U bolt eliminators could help keep cost down?

Makes sense, we have built a couple front long travel kits. Parts add up fast and there is a ton of hours that goes into them. We are on DR but it's mostly Toyotas, fords and silverados. We have tried for months to be a vendors in there just no luck.

We have our shackles we posted above. We offer this u-bolt eliminator we designed a few months back. There has been a design change in the lower plate. We have made it bigger and put a angle on it so if you clip rocks or dirt it works as a skid instead of plowing. Only picture I have at the moment. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1408151940.849365.jpg

We have a nice heavy duty shock tabs on the to do list for next week. That only leaves a front spring hanger To be designed. We are a dealer for Deaver so we can group it all together into a package deal.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Makes sense, we have built a couple front long travel kits. Parts add up fast and there is a ton of hours that goes into them. We are in DR but it's mostly Toyotas, fords and silverados. We have tried for months to be a vendors in there just no luck.

We have our shackles we posted above. We offer this u-bolt eliminator we designed a few months back. There has been a design change in the lower plate. We have made it bigger and put a angle on it so if you clip rocks or dirt it works as a skid instead of plowing. Only picture I have at the moment. View attachment 156442

We have a nice heavy duty shock tabs on the to do list for next week. That only leaves a front spring hanger To be designed. We are a dealer for Deaver so we can group it all together into a package deal.
What's ballpark on a set of f67s

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
391 Posts
are there currently no leaf pack from deaver that would gain lift and travel? i really want to keep a leaf set-up for the rear, just not willing to be bro status and rock the cali-lean. im not opposed to going to a 64+ inch leaf pack to gain the travel needed. i would intend to have extra gear in the back anyway. (I.E. 2 spare tire, 2 batteries, recovery gear, beer, bitches, kiddy pool, etc......) ok maybe not the last 2.....maybe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think Deaver offers a prerunner pack but it's a custom order I'm guessing 4 weeks out. We just ordered a set of h70 for our truck and they were special order 4 weeks out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
F67 if setup right will gain you about 19-21" of travel. They are a long travel leaf which is not a direct bolt on. Requires a custom front hanger and shackle. Going to a long travel leaf you can carry a decent amount of way since there usually installed with a full bed cage. But you will loose all towing capacity.

·
Registered
391 Posts
if you dont mind, please educate me on why towing capacity is lost? is it just detrimental to the shocks and leafs? obviously i have no intentions to pull a boat or another car/truck/etc. but i do want to be able to throw a quad and maybe some (not up to the cab) firewood in the bed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deaver springs are a progressive spring compared to a factory leaf spring. Factory leafs have 3-4 leafs on average Deaver springs usually have around 7-10 thinner springs that are designed for a progressive spring rate. Deavers long travel leafs are designed to flex not haul a ton of weight. If you run a simple bed cage you can throw a quad in the bed no problem. But towing capacity is lost majorly.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts