Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone has seen a tailgate handle camera but in the chrome. i have seen a few different options but none seem like there very secure. the license plate one would seem to very easily be able to unscrew nd having a roll pan theres not to many options for hiding one.

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
My plate frame mounted camera has been on my truck for over 7 years without any theft issues. I used anti-theft screws to fasten it to my truck. Besides, the camera will be useless with out the rest of the cable

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Same here just as Dan says.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
If you don't use the tailgate keyhole, I'd put it there too -- there has to be a chrome version for that, I just don't know of any myself.

And I'm with the guys above, noone has bothered to touch my plate-mounted camera either. I already spliced the cable to put a quick-connect plug in and I highly doubt any thief wants to go through the time and effort of splicing cut tiny-ass cables.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
I just ordered a license plate mount rear view camera to plug into my Pioneer head. While I am in there I plan to install a powered mount for my Garmin GPS (also just ordered). I figure if I tap into the power supply for the stereo my Garmin will turn on and off with the ignition. Now to figure out how to get into the dash to hook everything up........

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't they still have batteries, so it would only charge when the truck is on, but stay on after shutting it off?

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
When power is removed they give you the option to keep it on by touching the screen. Otherwise they turn off 15 seconds after losing power.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks guys. that makes me feel better that i know some people that actually have them

·
Registered
418 Posts
I pieced my backup camera together instead of getting a kit. The camera I got was a little larger than the keyhole on the tailgate handle. Opened up the hole so it was just barely large enough the use the treads on the camera to screw it in and used the locking nut to keep it in place. Used a black handle and can barely see the camera in it, my white/chrome handle didnt have the keyhole and wanted black handles anyways.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I just ordered a license plate mount rear view camera to plug into my Pioneer head. While I am in there I plan to install a powered mount for my Garmin GPS (also just ordered). I figure if I tap into the power supply for the stereo my Garmin will turn on and off with the ignition. Now to figure out how to get into the dash to hook everything up........
You are going to have to remove the head unit to get behind the unit. It plugs in in the rear. the power is the Violet/white wire and then a rca video plug.

For the Nav (Garmin) be sure and use the red ignition wire not the yellow power wire or it wont turn off with the ignition as the yellow wire is hot all the time. I have a Pioneer Hu and my GPS is Pioneer too so it gets its power from the HU and it displays on the screen.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Yep, I was assuming I was going to have to remove the head. Is that just a matter of removing the trim piece and some screws? Thanks for the wiring info, I was going to research that but had not started yet.
Do you know if the air vents above the stereo have separate ducts, or do they share one? I am going to have to penetrate the dash above them to run the power wire for the GPS mount.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Yes just the bezel and 3 screws holding the head unit. The ducts are 2 separate ducts.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Great, thanks! That should allow me to feed the power wire for the GPS between the ducts.

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
No need to go thru the dash. You can fish the wire between the front edge of the dash and foam seal at the bottom of the windshield

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
I will definitely take a look at that, thanks! Due to the FM traffic receiver built into the power cord the dash penetration was likely going to have to be close to the windshield anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts