Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a great way to mount a rearview camera...

I purchased a new locking tailgate handle and then mounted the camera in the keyhole.

The headunit is a Kenwood DNX-9140.
The camera I used is a Kenwood CCD-2000.

Here's some pics...

This shows where I mounted the camera. It's in the tailgate handle where tailgate lock normally would normally be. (I have a dynolock, so I don't need the factory lock).
I used a dremel tool to make it fit nicely. Then fabricated a bracket to hold everything in place.

This picture shows the view from the outside. It's pretty stealth.
Most people won't even know it's there plus it's protected from the elements and any would be theives.

This picture shows the view of the displayed camera image. It automatically switches to this view when the gear shift is moved to reverse.

Here's the back end of my truck.

I like the way it keeps every thing looking "clean".

Here's how I ran the wires from the tailgate into the cab.

I wrapped mine in Black Polyethylene Slit Loom. I think I used 3/8" loom.

I then ran that up along the passenger side frame rail.

I drilled a hole in the cab floor installed a grommet then pass the loom in to the cab. I sealed up the hole with silicone.

Once in the cab, I ran the wires under the passenger side sill plate, behind the passenger side kick panel, then behind the dash to the radio.

·
Super Moderator
13,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
where did you get a locking tailgate handle?
looks awesome btw
I picked up the handle from my local chevy dealer for $61. It's was a little cheaper from GMParts Direct, but I was in a hurry and the dealer had one in stock.
The GM part number is #25801998.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Here's a great way to mount a rearview camera...

I purchased a new locking tailgate handle and then mounted the camera in the keyhole.

The headunit is a Kenwood DNX-9140.
The camera I used is a Kenwood CCD-2000.

Here's some pics...

This shows where I mounted the camera. It's in the tailgate handle where tailgate lock normally would normally be. (I have a dynolock, so I don't need the factory lock).
I used a dremel tool to make it fit nicely. Then fabricated a bracket to hold everything in place.

This picture shows the view from the outside. It's pretty stealth.
Most people won't even know it's there plus it's protected from the elements and any would be theives.

This picture shows the view of the displayed camera image. It automatically switches to this view when the gear shift is moved to reverse.

Here's the back end of my truck.

I like the way it keeps every thing looking "clean".
nice work - you make house calls ?.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.