Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a letter from GM indicating that my 2007 Canyon was randomly selected for an emissions test on a dyno at GM's Milford, Michigan Powertrain Emission Laboratory and they are wondering if I was interested in loaning them my truck for the test. Of course I've said yes.

They will take the truck for about ten days and during that time will do about 80 miles on a chassis dyno. They say that the test results sometimes indicate that vehicle repair is necessary and if so, GM may remove and replace worn parts. Only new repair parts are used and the work is performed at no cost to me.

Here's what I get for giving up my truck: the use of a GM vehicle, a check for $300 and a full tank of gas. They will also bring the loaner car to me and take my truck and retun it to me when they are done.

Now the question is, with my intake, throttle body, tune, etc, will they reject it? Since they didn't ask about any mods I'm not volunteering any info unless they specifically ask me about it. I suppose the danger is they test the truck and then reflash the ECU and I lose my tune. Or it could be they come to swap rides and do a look-see eval and I suppose they could say no at that point. So we'll see what happens next.

Bob

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
Well there checking emissions so I think as long as you have a carb exempt intake and all your emissions devices r in place that they won't reject you.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
this is interesting

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
:yeahthat:

·
tinja nurtles
11,837 Posts
fine print:

vehicle will be ran for 1 week solid. the first 3 days are ran in park at revlimit. the 4th day will have 80 mies dyno time. the last 3 days will be ran again in park at revlimit

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
fine print:

vehicle will be ran for 1 week solid. the first 3 days are ran in park at revlimit. the 4th day will have 80 mies dyno time. the last 3 days will be ran again in park at revlimit
:lol:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Very interesting! Keep us posted on this please.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I mailed off the form yesterday so we'll see when they contact me. An option was to do a phone 'interview' which is probably where they start asking questions. Again, if they don't ask about mods, I'm not volunteering the info.

·
MTS Crew!
4,934 Posts
Very interesting.

If they do call you for a phone interview I would ask them questions maybe catch them off guard and the wont ask about any mods.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE: I just spoke with the third party that asks questions and gathers the info on the vehicles selected and got a grilling with a number of questions. I'll list in order the questions and my answer. I did answer truthfully.

Q: Has the odometer ever been repaired or replaced? A: No
Q: Any severe collision damage? A: No
Q: Any unusual engine noises? A: No
Q: Any leaks? A: No
Q: Any engine repairs? A: No
Q: Is the check engine light on or flashing? A: No
Q: Any modifications to the exhaust? A: Yes, a GM Performance cat-back exhaust is installed.
Q: Has the catalytic converter been tampered with or removed? A: No.
Q: Is the truck equipped with a hitch? A: Yes, the factory hitch.
Q: What is the hitch primarily used for and what has the truck towed? A: Small utility trailer a few times.
Q: Have you ever driven the truck in what you consider 'severe duty?' A: No
Q: Has the truck ever been raced? A: Yes, land speed racing on the Bonneville Salt Flats. (A few moments of silence while she took that in and tried to figure out what it was that I just said).
Q: Have there been any other modifications? A: A cold air intake system.
---
OK, thank you for your time. We will contact GM and give them this information and you will hear back from us on whether or not your vehicle is selected. It's a long program so it could be several weeks to several months before you hear back from us.
---
So it's not over yet. I'm hoping that the GM engineer that is given this info is car guy and might be interested in testing my truck rather than a by the book kind of guy that could flat out reject it because of the mods.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts