Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey nation,

this is the third time this has happened to me since I replaced my front brake pads around 6 months ago. Driving around base and I start to hear clunking, and even grinding while coming to stops. I turn the wheel and look at the brake caliper to see both bolts missing and the caliper moving freely...

missing these bolts:

that bolt into the top and bottom of the caliper:

into these pins:

The rubber grommets are pretty torn up on mine, so I think grease is escaping the pins and allowing them to shake/loosen the bolts. Can anyone confirm/deny this, or provide any additional information to help me nip this problem in the bud? Thanks in advance

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
I really don't see how it could loosen the bolt enough for it to actually fall out though. I could understand it maybe working itself "un tight" but to the point it literally falls out??

Has anyone taken a life insurance policy out on you recently?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with the little bit of blue locktite on the threads. In additional make sure you are tightening these up properly. If you are having trouble judging the tightness by hand break out a torque wrench. They should be between 30 and 40 ft. Lbs.

Ps I know there is a very specific torque number but anywhere between 30 and 40 ft lbs is plenty. If any one has the specific torque please post it!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Do a spin test on the roder with a gage ?
Replace hardware .

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
They are definitely just not getting tightened enough when doing the brake job. If you don't hold the pin with a wrench and then tighten the bolt you will never get enough torque to hold it. Those bolts are also 9.5mm threads and can't be bought at a normal hardware store you have to go to a specialty bolt place like the nutty company or fastenal or order them directly from the dealer, so make sure when you replace them if they get lost that you use the correct thread size or you will have worse problems. you also have to make sure the pins are greased and boot is seating properly, but that will just seize the pin not cause an issue with the bolt loosening.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Replace the pins and the clips and any other hardware. A hardware kit and the pins and bolts should be able to be had at any autoparts store. I you cannot find them let me know, I will get them at work and ship them to you. I work for Carquest.

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
From the Service Manual: Front Caliper Guide Pin Bolt Torque = 29ft/lbs (40 N.m). OEM (ACDelco) guide pins/bolts available from RockAuto @ 7 bucks per caliper.

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
I have never had any issue with that, i agree with jeremy. Blue loctite. and tq the hell out of them, I never used a tq wrench, just made it very tight. lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just bought some parts from NAPA. Here are part numbers for anyone else who has this issue, and stumbles across this thread.

Caliper Hardware Kit - NAPA Part #83527A. Contains rubber grommets and pad clips.

Caliper Bolt Set (one side) - NAPA Part #83621. NOTE: This also comes with bolts, but I had already installed them.

:salute:

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
a 17mm wrench and 13mm socket til its nice in snug......to snug and you'll break them off!

·
Registered
266 Posts
This just happened to me today, except I just replaced the guide pins not too long ago.

I must not of tightened the one bolt enough even thought I swear I put lock tight on it.

Either way, replaced the entire slide pin in case threads were bad, and reapplied the lock tight to all bolts. Hoping to not have any more problems.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. Bought the truck used and it went in for warranty work at the dealership for the front seal leaking. They decided to replace the pads when they were in there. I got the truck back and 2 miles down the road the brakes locked up. Took it back and they replaced both calipers but that didn't fix it. Ended up being bad brake hoses on both sides. My guess is they let the calipers hang from the hoses and the collapsed internally. All covered under the 2 month warranty I got from ford.

Anyway, about a month later I start hearing all kinds of grinding and banging up front. I took the tire off to see what was going on and find both caliper bolts missing on the driver side and the inside if the rim all gouged up from the caliper banging and getting caught.

Not sure if it is an issue or they just didn't tighten the bolts. I still can't believe they worked all the way out, though. Not just on, but both! That's why I hate having anyone work on my stuff. At least if I did it I know it would of been done right.

Be interested to see if this becomes a problem. Maybe I will need to check them as routine maintenance.

By the way, new member here. Looking to learn a lot and love my truck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Could we get a little information to go with this photo? I would definitely like to know what caused that!

Reactions: macgyver915

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Looks that a caliper bracket bolt broke/came off and the caliper dragged on the wheel and acted like can opener.
A picture of the wheel well that the wheel come off of would be good to have too

·
Registered
127 Posts
Seems to me that should have made a noticeable noise before it finally let go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts