Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just marked and drilled the holes to mount my Redline Tuning hood prop kit.

At the location on the fender lip where the lower bracket goes (centered at 11-1/4 inches from the hood corner) there's an existing hole already there under the rear-most bracket hole (nearest the firewall).

Same hole, both driver's side and passenger.
The rearmost edge of that hole lines up nicely with the rear hole in the bracket.

Anyone else have this?
I can't rivet there, the hole is an elongated hole much larger than the rivet-head.
Just as well, I decided I want some stainless Allen button-head machine screws for the fender brackets anyway. I'll have to use a largish washer under that existing hole.

I'm off to Lowes to pick some up now.

Can't say I'm too impressed with the contour of the hood brackets.
I think they could have put some effort into making them conform better to the contour of the hood rib where they have that angle bent into them.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
424 Posts
U'll have way more support if u wedge something between the flange the brackets attach to and the fender surface below. Doubt if any "stiffening" is needed though.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
U'll have way more support if u wedge something between the flange the brackets attach to and the fender surface below. Doubt if any "stiffening" is needed though.
I agree on both counts.

The backing plate is primarily to eliminate the two nuts I have now on the bottom of the screws (under the fender lip).
I'll drill and tap the holes in the backing plate.

While I'm at it though if I make it three or four inches long (or more... I haven't yet measured to see what the max would be) then it'll help distribute the load.
Cheap and super-simple to do, so why not?

·
Lifetime Member
769 Posts
I centered the bottom bracket over the slot and shifted the upper bracket to maintain the same length ratio so the cylinder gets the same length extended.

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,880 Posts
Any idea what years have this slot? My 04 did and I just moved the mounting position slightly to accommodate. I could forward the info to Redline Tuning to have them adjust their instructions.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
My 2011 had the same issue. I just moved it a little to match the installation instruction's picture. It had the elongated hole as well.

I think their hood may have been sitting further back at the time of install. Who knows, was it an aftermarket hood or OEM?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts