Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to pulling the head off of the 3.5L I bought a few months ago. It was pulled way back in '04. The guy I bought it off of said it was out of his sons truck. His son put nitrous on it, and blew it up rather quickly. They replaced it with a carbed 350, and somehow figured out how to bolt it up to the original Aisin 5 speed. :econo:

I'll tear it down further once I get a puller to remove the crank pulley.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
wow.. thats some freakin damage there is that a bee in that second pic in the cylinder?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
wow.. thats some freakin damage there is that a bee in that second pic in the cylinder?
Yeah, it's not good but I've seen worse. It's an insect of some kind, I didn't look too closely. It was already there when I pulled the head. :lol:

It was pretty obvious to me at least that the nitrous was kind of a hack install. They cut the braided high pressure line that goes to the fuel rail and hose clamped in a plastic "T" to splice in for the fuel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
soo. what are you going to do with it? just fix it eh?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I originally bought it because I wanted the head to port and put on my truck. Plans have changed, I intend to have an aluminum block 5.3L in it before spring '08. I don't really have a use for this spare 3.5L anymore. I'll probably part out what I can, maybe I'll turn the block into a coffee table. :lol:

I already sold the cams to someone that's going to have them reground to put in his truck.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
hows the head.. is it still in good condition...

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It has some minor damage to some of the combustion chambers due to the piston fragments floating around in the cylinders. It may be fine as is, but I'm really not sure. If I were going to use it I would polish the combustion chambers to remove as much as possible. It doesn't look like any valves were bent, the engine still turned over fine and none of them were hung open.

The two pictures I posted were of the two worst combustion chambers, the first picture is the worst one it's cylinder #1 and the second picture is cylinder #5.

M

·
0 Posts
Not nearly as much damage as I thought there would have been. Impressive though, nonetheless.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not nearly as much damage as I thought there would have been. Impressive though, nonetheless.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how bad it would be. I figured by the looks of the install and the fact that I found the stock plugs smashed to bits in the box of misc. parts I got he probably messed it up good.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
looks like the top ring land is really close to the top of the pistons...get some more pics once you pull the internals out!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I have the clutch/bellhousing/pressure plate/flywheel. It was supposed to only have ~9500 miles on it so it should be in reasonable shape. I'll take a closer look this weekend and get some pics.

I'm going to try and get my hands on a puller this weekend so I can get the crankshaft pulley off, and get it torn down further. I'm working with the guy that bought the camshafts to get him the crankshaft pulley and some other things so he can send it off to have a prototype underdrive pulley made ASP Racing.

I actually took more pictures but they didn't come out because I had the flash off. I'll try and take a bunch this weekend. I want to see what the balance shafts look like, and see if there'd be any way to "delete" them like on DSM's.

·
0 Posts
Is there room for an under drive pulley? some of those pulley clearances are quite small...

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm really not sure. I haven't looked into it much to be honest since I'm not going to need 'em. :shrug:

Z

·
0 Posts
Yes, I have the clutch/bellhousing/pressure plate/flywheel. It was supposed to only have ~9500 miles on it so it should be in reasonable shape. I'll take a closer look this weekend and get some pics.

I'm going to try and get my hands on a puller this weekend so I can get the crankshaft pulley off, and get it torn down further. I'm working with the guy that bought the camshafts to get him the crankshaft pulley and some other things so he can send it off to have a prototype underdrive pulley made ASP Racing.

I actually took more pictures but they didn't come out because I had the flash off. I'll try and take a bunch this weekend. I want to see what the balance shafts look like, and see if there'd be any way to "delete" them like on DSM's.

definitely get some pictures of that clutch. I can feel mine starting to slip when i grab 3rd at a high rpm. If that clutch is in good shape, maybe ill buy it from you so i can ship to clutchmasters to have a nice hefty clutch built. One that can handle the N20 i plan to squeeze. Although im gonna have a much better install then that 3.5 did. Mine is gonna get dyno tuned and worked so that it wont blow.

Then if it does, time to break out the plastic and get ready for a 4.8/5.3 swap.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Got more pictures, I'll be uploading tonight. I've got it torn down to the crankshaft, I'll have to pull it from the engine stand to remove the crank since it has a chain on the rear of the crank to drive the balance shafts. There's a cover that can't be removed without setting the engine down.

edit: Photobucket is being gay tonight. It keeps timing out while trying to upload pictures. I'll have to try again tomorrow night. :disgust:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts