Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a nice double din Kenwood deck with Sirius and Bluetooth setup which is great but I need more. Bought a Rockford fosgate powered 12 and some kicker front door speakers. Sounds great but the sub box is to big and take away from storgae. I have a nice set of Boston acoustics 5x7's that I was going to throw in the rear vent panels as I saw Ina write up.

Would I be better to run a 6x9 in the rear vents for some bass and keep my kicker fronts and drop the sub. Don't need crazy bass but a little low as I listen to metal. Any other advice wold be great. I do not want to run a sub and amp combo but would consider another small powered bass tube or something similar.thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have two 12" subs behind my seats, I wasn't worried about storage. But when I got my upholstery redone, I covered everything with dynamat. That made a big difference, if it were me, I would try that. I did a layer on the outer skin of the door, and another layer on the inner skin. I covered the gaps, so its pretty much a speaker box now. And that added good bass to my Kenwood 6 1/2"s in my doors. At best, you get the bass you wanted, in the worst case, you get a slightly quieter ride and no door rattles. IMO its a win win.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i had a bazooka 6-1/2 powered tube i was very pleased with the bass didnt take up much room and was easy to tune, but a good set of 6 1/2's and your head unit eq might give you the sound your looking for too

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Check out my garage pics at the box I built for my single cab...Might work great for you !! Good luck getting it dialed in !!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
with all the new shjallow mount subs availible, you dont have to loose storage. LBL makes a 10" thats only requires 2.5" of mounting depth. You can put that in a small box behind one of the seats and still have lpkenty of storage space

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to run some Polk 6x9 in those rear cab vents for now, see how that sounds and then I will review the shallow mount sub route.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Sounds like a plan !!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
i would say go with a nice little 8 in sub with the correct airspace needed for it and it will go nicely with your mids and highs, not rattling bass but just enough to pick up what your mids cant produce.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts