Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like regular cab trucks. 65 Chevy, 85 S-10, 05 ZQ8, 07 Coly 4WD. What do any of you think the reasoning is for Chevy not offering a Reg Cab Colorado, while they do in full size trucks?

·
Registered
328 Posts
It's a production/economics standpoint sadly. The demand for single cab trucks is nowhere what it used to be 20-30 years ago, save perhaps fleet sales, since the crewcab has become the dominant cab capacity version of trucks in consumer sales these days. It's a reason why Toyota, Nissan and GM has "phased" them out of the cab size options of the latest generation of the Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado and Canyon respectively.

As to why GM is still offering the single cab in the full sizers, I can only guess that fleet sales is the reason, as they sell quite a bit more full-size than mid-size trucks. I work next to a major highway in town and every day I see alot of regular cab, long-bed full size GM trucks on the road as business/work/fleet trucks. Perhaps when the twins are a bit older and more time-tested, they will earn more fleet sales and perhaps GM will once again offer a regular cab option, if mainly for fleet sales I'd wager.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Price of the Reg cab WT is $15.5K (Taxes included).
not the best looking truck but price is not bad.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I guess it makes sense, but I don't like it
Such is things good sir, just glad I got one of the last ones from GM and the last of them made here in Louisiana to boot haha! The odds are they (or Toyota and Nissan for that matter) will most likely never make a truck like mine or yours again, therefore I'll probably roll mine till the wheels fall off. I honestly do hope GM will reconsider the single cab option though with the GMT700 trucks in the future. The fact they are doing so well in sales since their reintroduction into the market and their demand is good gives me hope. I guess that's all we have at this point... and pray the bean counters at GM will feel it's economical to do so. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Yea its super lame they don't offer the new trucks in single cabs. I guess we can only hope there is enough demand to bring them back one day. Too bad its always about the money..

Also pics of said '85 s10

·
Registered
14 Posts
I read somewhere that is also had to do with emissions regulations, and that the "footprint" puts each vehicle into a category, and extended cabs and quad cabs gain a larger footprint and don't really lose gas mileage. I'm going to go look for the article and I'll post it up.

Edit: adding article
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/04/is-the-regular-cab-pickup-doomed.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Oh shit. I just finished reading the whole article. Everyday something new is learned.

Thanks man for the link

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ahhh great article, I think that explains and sums it up pretty thoroughly, thanks Brawndo!

Once again, thanks to the .gov for effin' up something, it seems the CAFE regulations will be the primary reason for the death of the single/regular cab truck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You want a regular cab pickup truck. Next thing you'll be as crazy as me and want a manual transmission LOL
Yup. I'd most likely buy a brand new Colly if I could get a regular cab with the V6, or for sure if I could get a regular cab with a V8. A manual trans with either would sweeten the deal even more, but I'm not as set on a manual trans as I used to be. I spent the first decade of my driving career with a manual trans, but the past few years I've had an auto, and I could go either way now.

I've had a crew cab for a year and a half now, after having a regular cab since 03 or so, and I much prefer the regular cabs. This is the kind of truck I'd pay money for:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hhhhgggghhh... *throws money at screen* Damn you .gov and GM!

MMMMEEEE WANT! *sigh*

Great pics of would be trucks Pruples.

·
"ALL JACKED UP"
2,448 Posts
I like regular cab trucks. 65 Chevy, 85 S-10, 05 ZQ8, 07 Coly 4WD. What do any of you think the reasoning is for Chevy not offering a Reg Cab Colorado, while they do in full size trucks?
You forgot one.........LOL.... MINE..........:D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yup. I'd most likely buy a brand new Colly if I could get a regular cab with the V6, or for sure if I could get a regular cab with a V8. A manual trans with either would sweeten the deal even more, but I'm not as set on a manual trans as I used to be. I spent the first decade of my driving career with a manual trans, but the past few years I've had an auto, and I could go either way now.

I've had a crew cab for a year and a half now, after having a regular cab since 03 or so, and I much prefer the regular cabs. This is the kind of truck I'd pay money for:

I would sell my RCSB '04 Colly ZQ8 tomorrow for a ZQ8 version of either of these 2 renderings.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I was not that fond of the ext. Cab when I bought the "700"...
To be honest.... Now I would not trade it for a regular cab... This is the first ext. Cab ride I have ever owned.... Maybe someone @ GM will change the chassis and offer one... ??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts