Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I have searched and searched and made a post or two regarding installing my alarm myself and up to this point got the info I needed as I managed to put in door actuators and wire in relays to get them both working like their supposed to. Now I am ready for the remote start part. I have a Viper 5706V and although my s/n is 07Colorado4Dr I actually have a 2006 2.8 5 Speed W/T (joined and made s/n before deal was closed on the truck I thought I was getting and it fell through and ended up with my 06 Reg. Cab) Anyhow, I am pretty good with wiring but I guess I'm more afraid from the horror stories I've read about the electrical systems of our trucks I'd feel better if someone had first hand knowledge or experience to point in the right direction, like exactly which bypass module to get and anything else relative to the install I should know. If I missed a old post somewhere that had this info Im sorry but if that's the case please kindly direct me to the link and I will take it from there. Thanks in advance, going through a rough spot right now and working on the truck always takes my mind off of the negative and hardships Im facing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
... going through a rough spot right now and working on the truck always takes my mind off of the negative and hardships Im facing.
I don't have any experience with this one but I wanted to post to say I hope that your situation improves. Hang in there.

Do you have a link to the install manual or schematic for the unit you're installing?

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I appreciate the thoughtful words. And I do have link but not sure how to post it from my phone. If you google Viper 5706v it's the first thing that pops up. I hate asking for help and not providing the info but just not sure how to attach the link..

·
Members Technical Staff
2,498 Posts
I'll see if I can find out which Passlock bypass was installed on my truck (4706V here).

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are the man!!!! I started to text you but wasn't sure if you were awake or not. And I meant to ask you to do that when you did my tune and ofcourse always one step ahead! Thanks so that means I don't need the bypass right?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
The Best Buy flier I got has a Viper remote start/keyless entry for $249 installed right now. And where your Passlock is disabled there is no need for the bypass module.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They wanted 499 total to install and that didn't count any extra parts they may need which I assume would have been none since my passlock is disabled. I told them I wanted to install everything but the remote start just because I'm particular and wanted everything a certain way. Ofcourse it's all or nothing with them so I had them price match just the alarm off Amazon for 190 which is a hell of a deal for the system I got, considering I got it for the cheapest I've found online without having to have it shipped. Anyhow hopefully someone posts up with some direction as I know I can install it myself with alittle guidance.

Side Note: James or anyone how do you feel about the Viper Smart Start / Smart Key? I'm planning on adding that to my system for the phone alerts more than anything unless someone tells me it's a waste or not worth it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
But would you allow a Best Buy employee to hack your truck's wiring?
Not I.

I'm sure they have some competent people, but...
How would you know?

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thats why I didn't want them to install the whole thing. I figured if they would do just the remote start I would have stood there and watched the whole time but they ain't doing it so I'll figure it out with the help of the knowledgable folks here at the nation!

·
Members Technical Staff
2,498 Posts
So what exactly do you need? A local shop installed mine and it's tucked up under the console but I can probably get a few pictures together if I knew what you were looking for. Since you don't have Passlock enabled any longer, you should omit the bypass module altogether.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah basically just what wire I need to hook up and where. I know most them aren't even needed in the first place for what I want. I'm not worried about any aux hook ups or anything just what wires are needed and where they connect to push the button on my remote and make it start. I know how the program of the system works just basically what connections I need and where. I plan on if I can get the info and it working doing a how-to of how to wire up a alarm and remote start and adding power locks if your truck doesn't have them.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
But would you allow a Best Buy employee to hack your truck's wiring?
Not I.

I'm sure they have some competent people, but...
How would you know?
I totally fucking agree with you @Rick_crew otherwise I would have done it this past weekend.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Having a Best Buy employee hack your truck wiring is like a box of chocolates...
you never what you're going to get.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
:lmaop:

I just watched that the other night

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
My coworker is best friends with the owner of DEI and used to work for him when he started the company. I will ask him for a contact number of someone who can bail you out if you mess something up or have any questions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts