Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
During installation of the rancho lift kit, my stock front spindle didn't want to come out of the ball joints. So i removed the upper, lower ball joints which are still mounted on the spindle. I tried already to remove them with a puller, but no success. Anyone knows how to remove them?

Attachments

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
It's usually easier to do it while it's still on the truck but keep the nut on the end of the stud and hit it with a BFH.

That should pop it off.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Hittin the spindle sometimes helps.

You should have done this on the truck.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
ya a tap and hammer or something, just be careful with the threads, if you have to mess with it again when its on the truck you can usually loosen the uppper bj and tap the spindle at the top and the weight will drop it,,, after you have broken the bottom bj loose

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I just did ball joint work this weekend. I only pulled the uppers, but it took 2-3 good whacks with a 3lb hammer and it popped right out. If you can get the spindled solidly mounted somehow, I'd try doing that. Probably put the puller in place then whack the spindle??

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Hold a hammer against one side of the spindle and whack the opposite side of the spindle with another hammer. Usually a couple of whacks like that will pop it out. (Assuming that it's still on the truck).

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
BFH will do the trick

just protect the thread with the nut or get a rubber hammer

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
wtf!

dude, you use a picklefork on the 355 balljoints and youll ruin the boots.
no its the if all else fails method. I usually beat them out with a hammer by hitting the spindle. Even on semis ill beat them with a hammer to get them out. If they don't want to come free with a sledge hammer and were replacing them ill use a pickle fork.

IT'S THE LAST RESORT METHOD!!!

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
no its the if all else fails method. I usually beat them out with a hammer by hitting the spindle. Even on semis ill beat them with a hammer to get them out. If they don't want to come free with a sledge hammer and were replacing them ill use a pickle fork.

IT'S THE LAST RESORT METHOD!!!
But it still ruins the boots and then you have the added and unnecessary expense of replacing BJs.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just removed them with a big brass hammer, and here they are gone, my lift is now on, thanks for your answers guys.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
no problem

post pics when ur done man

·
355 Parts Hoarder
6,842 Posts
I replaced mu upper balljoints and successfully got them out using a pickle fork with out destroying them. BUT if you plan on re-using them I would not use a pickle fork.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Srsly tho.

Hes smarter mechanicly than i am yet i still search for his posts to make sure hes not telling some noob bad info.

Now how the fuck does that make any sence.

That motherfucker should be banned from the on topic threads :lol:

·
MTS Crew!
4,934 Posts
To throw my $0.02 on the pickle fork matter

There is a trick I read about using grease with the pickle fork so you do not destroy the boot. So if the hammer is not working and you need to get it apart use some grease to help reduce the damage.

Info from here: Tie Rod End Swap — revlimiter.net

Yes I know that is a tie rod end but it has a boot and its similar enough.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts