Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
To throw my $0.02 on the pickle fork matter

There is a trick I read about using grease with the pickle fork so you do not destroy the boot. So if the hammer is not working and you need to get it apart use some grease to help reduce the damage.

Info from here: Tie Rod End Swap — revlimiter.net

Yes I know that is a tie rod end but it has a boot and its similar enough.
Interesting...

Learn something new every day... :muknow:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes I know it's an old thread but I had a helluva time trying to get this thing out. I got all three nuts of mounting the bj to the frame and then the nut on the bottom of the stud. TO make sure I'm clear here that's the one I'm hitting with the hammer? I'm not really concerned about replacing them seeing that new ones are only $30 or so.. just want to make sure that I'm correct in where I'm hitting obviously..

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
leave it bolted to the control arm so the steering knuckles weight is on the ball joint loosen the nut for the stud, but don't spin it off completely just until it's flush with the end of the threads. Then hit it with PB blaster and then go at it with a nice dead blow hammer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks like I'll be smacking away at it as soon as I can find a jack that even touches the frame. :anger: When they were putting the new wheels/tires on I had them do an alignment and they couldn't get the camber right. I dropped the front by about an inch but the camber is still a bit off so it looks like the BJ flip is the way too go but for a man without access to a shop it's surely going to suck.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I have a block of 6x6 wood I put on top of my jack for some extra lift. I also have a crossmember under the front of my truck though since I have the 4" lift kit installed which makes life easier.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use a few blocks underneath my bottle jack. The damn thing is 18" inches max height and it doesn't even lift the frame more than an inch. I guess I can say a hell yeah for ground clearance but it's a pain to do anything that I need the wheels off for.

Gotta say I love it for oil and transmission fluid changes though. No lifting required! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have replaced the lower ball joints on a 2004 GMC Canyon, 2 Wheel Drive, and posted a video on YouTube, if it’s useful to anyone...
Make sure to tap on the title of the video at the top of the video, so you can access the description content on the video. There is lots of important information in the description text portion of the video.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts