Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well.. i went to install the Mr.Tailights kit today... had everything hooked up and noticed that the driver side worked fine (highs/lows on at same time)... BUT the passenger side didnt have ANYTHING on... no lows.. no highs.

I uninstalled the Mr.Tailights kit and check everything. t-taps were installed correctly.. ground... power... etc.

I just completely removed the Mr.tailights kit and put it back to just the HIDs... still no juice to passenger side.

I found my old stock bulbs and put those in... driver side works fine. Passenger side has just enough juice to being them on to a VERY Dim light... highs and lows have the same amount of juice and it never changes.

any ideas before I take it into the Dealer?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have you taken a meter to see what the actual voltage is at the passenger side? It sounds like a loose connection somewhere.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wouldnt u know! lol the Passenger side is blown.

Now, Are those special fuses or can i get them at any auto store?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
:thumbup: Weird that it would get any juice at all with a blown fuse.

Standard blade style auto fuses, hell Walmart should have them.
Or if you're too lazy to make the trip now and you can get by, pull a fuse with the same rating for something you don't need.

EDIT: I think they come in packs of 4 or 5, so I would just throw the spares in a baggie in the glovebox incase another one happens to blow. Spare fuses are good to have on a road trip, ask me how I know :lol:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
yeah went to the store and bought a "variety pack"...

came with 7 of each size fuse and a fuse remover/tester.
Nice, that tester will save you a lot of time compared to pulling them one by one with a pair of pliers.

I highly recommend you find a place to keep that in your truck, or at least take it with you whenever you go on a long trip.

·
Registered
839 Posts
EXACT same thing happened to me when i installed my mr. tailight conversion kit. Tell me if it still blows after replacing it, i might have to give it another whirl luckily i just took mine to the dealer to check it out, they replaced the wiring and fuses.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It blew again after i reinstalled it... but then i put a 15a fuse in the 10a spot and it works perfect.

got the HIDS and the Mr.Tailights installed back in. I will have picks tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yea, should be fine... maybe it shorted out while installin/removing.. and the fuse did what it should... if it keeps doing it, I would put stocks back in, see if it still does it... if it does, take it to dealer, if it only does it with the kit, I would try putting a 20 fuse in.

I blew so many fuses its sad.. I just keep a box of 15's and 20's in my garage because I go through them when I am working on my interior!

·
Registered
84 Posts
so the 15a fuse i put in should do just fine right?
I'm not a big fan of just upgrading the fuse to solve the problem. The wiring itself was designed for 10a, not 15, so you're pushing it somewhat. I'd look into the current requirements of everything very carefully before doing that.

Also, a blown fuse will not pass any current. You will read the full source voltage across it (12V in this case), but it won't partially power something. But I have seen fuses that have sort of blown before - they act a a resistor and pass some current and drop some voltage. So that's probably what happened there.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Glad you got it fixed... I've got a couple 15's where 10's should be for various reasons. Wouldnt worry bout it ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts