Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just acquired a set of Xtreme's and they are painted black. I need to redo them though as there is lots of chipping on the paint.

I know the paint is duplicolor black and I think he primed the wheels before paint.

I powerwashed what I could off and have started to sand. I think I may have gone too far though as now I think I passed the original silver color. Should I just keep going and even out the wheel (as I am going to redo the black) or should I just use a paint stripper to make my life easier (as I am going to redo the black)

I've only started on one wheel and I would like to get painting by the end of the week....so if I could remove this paint today, my life would be easier. I just am afraid of damaging anything on them.

Opinions?

·
Registered
964 Posts
I would just use a paint stipper, it is a lot quicker and easier than trying to sand all that old paint off, just be sure to wear some gloves and wash all the stripper off.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
both of the above answers are good. if you use stripper, wear gloves AND eye protection, if you get stripper in your eyes it can fuck up your eyes forever. i would get them sand/bead blasted and powdercoated. that stuff is kinda expensive, but it's really strong against the elements and easy as hell to clean.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am really looking at cost effective ways here.

I found out that the stripper won't damage the integrity of the rim, so I'm good there. Also, since I am painting anyway (probably 1 at a time) It should be ok to strip down to beyond the factory paint I assume, yes?

I'm going to use the How-To on here to paint them.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
if your gonna strip them down to the aluminum why dont you just polish those bad boys. that would be a first and would look sick as hell.

i wouldn't use stripper at all. it wont remove all the paint like you want anyway. it will take longer than you think it will. plus the risk of skin irritation and inhaling that shit. been there done that. if you are going to repaint them just sand them. will be alot easier in the long run. I have done both, trust me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See, Dlucas, I suck horribly at sandpapering and I think I may have already gone too deep sanding what paint off I already did...I'm gonna try this aerosol product that I got and if that doesn't work, I'll get aircraft stripper.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I've made a decision. That didn't work like I expected, so I'm gonna hold on to the wheels (In the meantime remove the tires) and since I'm starting a new job this week, I'll catch up on my truck note first then I'll save for a little bit and get them professionally powdercoated.

I got a quote of $400 for all 4 with removal of the old paint.

I want to get them black with my bowtie in the center cap painted body color

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
yeah thats what I would do if I was you. Me I would get them blasted and coated. just wait and get it done when you can afford to. They will look so much better powdercoated anyway.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Ok, I've made a decision. That didn't work like I expected, so I'm gonna hold on to the wheels (In the meantime remove the tires) and since I'm starting a new job this week, I'll catch up on my truck note first then I'll save for a little bit and get them professionally powdercoated.

I got a quote of $400 for all 4 with removal of the old paint.

I want to get them black with my bowtie in the center cap painted body color
i think you'll be much happier with the results this way. post pics when you get them back.

·
NW Surfrider
5,364 Posts
x3 :doku2: :doku2: :doku2:

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
yeah thats what I would do if I was you. Me I would get them blasted and coated. just wait and get it done when you can afford to. They will look so much better powdercoated anyway.
^that....and it will last 1000x longer then paint.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Hey guys,

I just acquired a set of Xtreme's and they are painted black. I need to redo them though as there is lots of chipping on the paint.

I know the paint is duplicolor black and I think he primed the wheels before paint.

I powerwashed what I could off and have started to sand. I think I may have gone too far though as now I think I passed the original silver color. Should I just keep going and even out the wheel (as I am going to redo the black) or should I just use a paint stripper to make my life easier (as I am going to redo the black)

I've only started on one wheel and I would like to get painting by the end of the week....so if I could remove this paint today, my life would be easier. I just am afraid of damaging anything on them.

Opinions?
Did you think of dipping them ,just like they dip bodies .
less damage to rims ...did it to my s-10 rims way back then ..
oldman

·
Registered
92 Posts
i just stripped and painted a set of rims last night for a 06 toyota celica , cleaned off the old paint and corrosion , etch primed them , and painted them metalic silver from my spray gun , should be hard enough to mount tires on tonight id be willing to say i spent about 6 hours and about 30 bucks on stripper,primer,paint i already had , if you want to polish those rims you need to get them sanded down to atleast 320 grit with no casting visable to do a nice job , goodluck ! powdercoat them i would

1 - 20 of 20 Posts