Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a set of overlays for my gauge cluster, but am curious as to how easy/difficult it is to remove the needles. And when I go to put the needles back on, is it easy to return them to the correct position?

Any instructions I can take a look at before committing?

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
I think you pull the needles off with a tool that comes with it or you can use a fork. I am curious to the quality of these. I want to get them but heard they are just stickers you put over your existing gauages and the light just shines through them. You are talking about the ones on ebay right for 24 bucks? I did this mod in my s10 but it was a full overlay and you had to remove the needles and take apart the whole panel. I am assuming you do the same just make sure you let your truck warm up to temp and record where the needle was and where your gas was and all that stuff so when your done let the truck warm back up and verify everything is the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They are pretty easy to do. The only one on my truck that's off is the speedo (by 1-2 mph) the replacement needle that i bought broke so I don't want to take it back off to fix it (had to superglue it together).

I used the tool that came with my gauges.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You be the guinny pig. let me know how it goes.
LOL.

If I find out that there's a low chance of screwing up my gauges, I'll give those overlays a shot.

Almost can't go wrong. :shrug:

They are pretty easy to do. The only one on my truck that's off is the speedo (by 1-2 mph) the replacement needle that i bought broke so I don't want to take it back off to fix it (had to superglue it together).

I used the tool that came with my gauges.
Is there a way to ensure the gauges don't get out of alignment?

·
Registered
20 Posts
just be careful not to brake the needles :)

You can also get aftermarket needles. Check my cardomain site for some pics. They company I ordered from didn't have a kit for the Colorado but the ones I ordered worked fine. You'll just need to trim them a bit (the shaft) so they don't stick up really far from the gauges

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Is there a way to ensure the gauges don't get out of alignment?
Scangauge... thats how i was sure mine was back on 100% accurate. Seeing as the scangauge reads the signal and gives you a digital readout that will always read correctly.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
Scangauge... thats how i was sure mine was back on 100% accurate. Seeing as the scangauge reads the signal and gives you a digital readout that will always read correctly.
Good point but it is more expensive than the gauges. I have thought about getting one anyway.

Zach where do you have yours mounted at?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
They can be a pain in the butt to deal with, it comes with a tool, but a fork works just as well! I would suggest finding a friend with a GPS to help you (I use a GPS my self when I redid my whole gauge cluster) And dont just check your speeds at low MPH check them at 70mph, mine was on for 0-40, but 41+ it started to get off. I found if you place the needle pointing to the lower part of 0, its more accurate, my Gas Gauge is off too (but I dont want to reopen my cluster as its spot on again)

P.S. ive had mine open about 8 times now, 1 for the overlay and 7 for LED's ect....

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
I have done it before and trust me its not that bad.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yea, its real easy, dont get me wrong on that... I would even give it a 2/10 but it was a pain in the butt on getting the speedo back to accurate speeds. Some people just use a Scan gauge as their speedo and dont care what the cluster says, but I use my cluster and I am a little OCD about those things, so I had to make sure mine was perfect, (And now that it is, one of my solder points on my FWT LED is loose (which means I got to pull it all apart :( )

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Here is one more tip I can suggest! dont put the clear plastic back on until you are sure!, its a pain to put on and off, I leave it off until I am sure I have it set where Iwant to... If you have a USSPEDO overlay its some simple steps

Remove cluster from dash

Unplug cluster from wire (its a simple remove, funny and odd its my favorite wire connector in the truck its so simple :p (thats sad ) )

Remove Clear cover

remove needles

Remove screws on the back (May not have to, I did for an 07)

Replace overlay

Replace screws

Plug cluster into car again (you will hear the needles reset to their home positions

Replace needles

Check accuracy

REplace clear plastic and mount into truck

Here is my cluster on my bed right after I switched the overlays out

http://www.ryangottlieb.com/gallery/photo.php?id=12

I also broke part of my clear plastic, well chipped off a decent size chunk (You cant see it, the grey bezel thing covers it) but I found its easiest to remove the clear plastic by using my teeth, just biting down on the little lock, I used the screwdriver or my hand and it broke, once I used my teethe, I never had a problem

1 - 20 of 22 Posts