Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I GAVE UP. I mean, this little sucker was just too tough to budge. I knew it'd be hard to remove it so I soaked with penetrating oil for the past two days before I worked on it. I warmed up my truck for 2 minutes ( well, probably not long enough, now that I think about it, consider it's -5 out). I bought a 7/8 O2 sensor removal socket for the job. When I slid the socket on with my 3/8" impact ratchet, the ratchet wouldnt even move. I obviously couldn't use the 1/2 impact gun as there wasn't enough room for that. So I am here looking for help. How to remove upstream O2 sensor? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
The first time I had to remove mine I had to use a standard box end wrench and a hammer since the O2 socket kept wanting to slip because of the stupid slit in the side.

If you know you're going to be replacing it, you can also cut the wires off and use a 6-point impact socket and a breaker bar.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To remove the downstream sensor, I ended up having to cut off the wire on the old sensor and just impact the shit out of it with an impact socket. The O2 sensor socket is just a piece of junk. I also had to get a thread chaser to clean up/repair the threads after the impact.

I know what I am up against and I just want to be more prepared when I am doing the upstream one

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I cut the wiring off, PB blaster bath, i took my propane torch to the bung to heat it up and used a 22mm with a 3/8 breaker bar........BAM! Done that easy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts