Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Custom User Title
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 09 5.3 Colorado, I was surprised to see there isn't one serpentine belt like most GM vehicles have these days.

I have not looked close (without taking everything apart so I can see whassup) but I don't see a tensioner on either of the two belts (AC appears to have it's own belt)

Anybody happen to have a diagram or even a video showing where the pivot points are to tighten each belt?

·
Custom User Title
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, sir!

I can see what appears to be a tensioner for the AC compressor... but is the tensioner for the other belt right new to the alternator?

Looks like the best way to do belts is to remove the fan to make it easier to get in there and work

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
The AC compressor belt has no tensioner. The belt is held on by friction. The Service Manual suggests cutting it for removal. There is a tool to install a new belt. Gates 91030 is one. There are several manufacturers. The other belt is pretty much standard configuration.

·
Super Moderator
13,733 Posts
Drive Belt Replacement - Accessory
Removal Procedure

1. Open the hood.
  2. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct.
  3. Install a breaker bar with hex-head socket to the drive belt tensioner bolt.
  4. Rotate the drive belt tensioner clockwise in order to relieve tension on the belt.
  5. Remove the drive belt (1) from the pulleys and the drive belt tensioner.
  6. Slowly release the tension on the drive belt tensioner.
  7. Remove the breaker bar and socket from the tensioner bolt.
  8. Clean and inspect the belt surfaces of all the pulleys.

Installation Procedure

1. Route the drive belt (1) around all the pulleys except the idler pulley.
  2. Install the breaker bar with hex-head socket to the belt tensioner bolt.
  3. Rotate the belt tensioner clockwise in order to relieve the tension on the tensioner.
  4. Install the drive belt under the idler pulley.
  5. Slowly release the tension on the belt tensioner bolt.
  6. Inspect the drive belt for proper installation and alignment.
  7. Install the air cleaner outlet duct.
  8. Start the vehicle and insplect the drive belt for proper operation.
  9. Close the hood.

·
Super Moderator
13,733 Posts
Air Conditioning Compressor Belt Replacement
Removal Procedure

1. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  2. Remove the cooling fan.
  3. Cut the belt (1) from the air conditioning (A/C) and crankshaft pulleys.

Installation Procedure

1. Postion the belt behind the rear face of the balancer (1) and off of the A/C pulley (2).
  2. Install the belt installation tool (3) onto the balancer.
  3. Slide the belt installation tool (1) upward, install the belt (2) on the belt installation tool.
  4. Slide the belt installation tool downward, positioning the belt onto the A/C pulley, applying light tension to the belt.
  5. Position the lower portion of the belt (1) with the ribbed area facing forward.
  6. Slowly rotate the crankshaft pulley (1) in a clockwise direction while using finger pressure to pull the belt (2) forward. Ensure that the ribbed area of the belt remains facing forward and the belt aligns properly to the A/C pulley.
  7. Inspect the drive belt (1) for proper installation and alignment.
  8. Rotate the balancer (1) and additional 360 degress to ensure proper belt installation.
  9. Install the cooling fan.
  10. Install the accessory drive belt.

·
Custom User Title
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The AC compressor belt has no tensioner. The belt is held on by friction. The Service Manual suggests cutting it for removal. There is a tool to install a new belt. Gates 91030 is one. There are several manufacturers. The other belt is pretty much standard configuration.
I found a cool little tool for this at
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-59370-Stretch-Remover-Installer/dp/B00AC60VEC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_sims?ie=UTF8[/ame]

Too bad GM couldn't have just put all the belts on one track like the other vehicles.

Thanks for the info, very helpful...

·
Registered
2011 Canyon
4 Posts
Thanks for the illustrations would not be able to do this otherwise for A/C compresor belt.
Lots of stuff on 5.3L belts on Youtube for full size p/u where there's usually plenty of room. Not so on 2011 GMC Canyon with 5.3L.

I started using the GM factory tool, found it was too thick. Tried the Gates tool (did not use bolt, no room to thread) it worked. The Gates tool was only usuable in the position listed in "Installation Procedure; step1 and it barely fit. Also, recommended: long breaker bar and long socket ( I used a 12 point 15/16" --didn't have metric). Had to blindly feel if it was on nut from underneath as in photo. Also had to use a spacer or piece of wood to keep the belt from walking off the compressor pully towards block.
Auto part Tire Pipe Suspension Fuel line

1 - 12 of 12 Posts