Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to replace the rusting frame on my 2011 Colorado, where would I begin? Is that something the dealer could do?

·
Registered
108 Posts
short answer: no, i repaired my ROTTING frame and honestly, it wasnt really worth it, replacing the frame isnt even worth the the time and money involved. Also, as a person who works at a dealership, the dealership wants nothing todo with old rusty vehicles and they wont waste their time doing a frame swap

·
Premium Member
2,935 Posts
If I were to replace the rusting frame on my 2011 Colorado, where would I begin? Is that something the dealer could do?
You would have to begin by sourcing a frame. Indications are that the frame for my 2011 Crew Cab has been discontinued by GM and a Google part number search doesn't even show a hit. If the frame on your truck is rusted that bad, probably anything used available in your area will be the same.
Could a Dealer do the work. Sure, but as mentioned above, there most likely isn't one around that wants to do it. The bottom line is that it would cost a way lot more than the truck is worth. If the frame is severely rusted, there are going to be a lot of suspension components in the same condition.

·
Registered
622 Posts
After having to weld in frame support before last winter my Colorado may only last until next spring . What I will probably do , and you could also , is part it out . My interior is like factory new as I replaced the 60/40 seats with bucket seats with new OEM foam and covers and added a new console as well . These will part out nicely as will the inner door panels and door sills . The engine , trans , and rear differential are all good also . What a waste because of frame rot .

·
Registered
407 Posts
You could give www.car-part.com a shot and see what you can find, you can change the area code and state to look in other nearby states as well.

Dunno where you're located, but I can assume due to your post, you're somewhere up north in the "salted" states.

With that said, I'd look for somewhere further south for a non-rusted out, hopefully impacted free, truck frame that fits your truck.

Granted, this will probably not be easy, cheap or a short drive to get you a decent, used frame.

In fact, it may be like finding a needle in a haystack. Regardless, I hope this helps and hope you find a good one, good luck man!

Reactions: cusomano

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I'm up in Massachusetts so the salt here is fierce in the winter. I love my '11 Colorado and really want to keep it for a hundred years, but if the frame goes, I'm doomed. Here are some pics.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Wood Tints and shades Ceiling Pattern Auto part

·
Registered
8 Posts
As someone who just spent an insane amount of time repairing my frame, I'm going to agree that it wasn't really worth it. By the time you have holes popping up in some areas, the rest of the frame is going to be really thin and the truck's days are limited. I'm assuming I only have a year or two left on mine, so my repair is just buying time. It just isn't worth the time/money to fix or replace the frame when you can get something newer and cleaner for less than the labor/materials involved in the repair.

The photos you posted aren't areas that I've seen holes crop up. Take a look on the drivers side frame rail just at the back of the cab. Specifically on the side facing the gas tank. Also look around behind the parking brake splitter. Those two spots were where I had most of my issues. If you don't have any holes, why not just clean up the rust and coat it with something to slow it down? A lot of people like the POR 15 and fluid film combo. Like they say, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Oh, and to anyone else reading this and hoping they never get to the point where their frame is shot: Flush your frame rails out regularly. I pulled about 10 lbs of sand and dirt out of the driver's side on mine between blowing it out with an air gun and flushing with a hose. All that was sitting inside trapping moisture and rotting it all from the inside out. The passenger side wasn't as bad for some reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Look at this diagram. Check both the inside and outside of the frame rail at location A. Check out the outside of the frame rail at B.

Your frame doesn't look pretty, but I don't seen anything super concerning in your photos. If you don't have holes, I'd just clean it up and paint/coat it so it doesn't get worse.

If you're concerned about it, I'd have a shop you trust look at it and give you an opinion. It's really hard to tell how solid it is without seeing it in person and poking at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Look at this diagram. Check both the inside and outside of the frame rail at location A. Check out the outside of the frame rail at B.

Your frame doesn't look pretty, but I don't seen anything super concerning in your photos. If you don't have holes, I'd just clean it up and paint/coat it so it doesn't get worse.

If you're concerned about it, I'd have a shop you trust look at it and give you an opinion. It's really hard to tell how solid it is without seeing it in person and poking at it.
Wood Trunk Tints and shades Tree Plant Automotive tire Tread Wheel Vehicle Tire Leg Wood Trunk Tints and shades Tree

·
Internet Troll
1,373 Posts
IMO, unless the truck has special significance to you, putting a new frame on your rig isn't worth it.

That said, I've found a video series by a lady in Arizona who has her grandmother's 1994 Ford ranger that spent almost all it's life in Massachusetts and she's putting a new frame under an otherwise decent looking truck. It has sentimental value to her and she's doing most of the work herself. Having someone else doing the work will cost more than buying a new to you rust free model. Face it a Ford Ranger and a Chevrolet Colorado are never going to be collector vehicles. That's why when the option popped up, it was actually less money for me to buy the 2012 low mileage Colorado than have a new engine only in my 2009 Colorado.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your frame looks better than with what I started with.
Pull the bed off and see what you are really working with.

I wire wheeled down the whole thing/used cut off wheel to remove the bad stuff
Buddy welded up several trouble spots
VHT rust converter spray
VHT chassis paint
Then lastly I did Eastwood internal frame coating

Also replaced the rear leafs with a set from AutoZone with free delivery and did a "new" steering rack from Detroit Axle while I was at it.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but how did you like that eastwood internal frame coating? I've been trying to figure out how to get an even coating of boiled linseed oil in mine. Easier said than done with the shape of the frame.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not to hijack this thread, but how did you like that eastwood internal frame coating? I've been trying to figure out how to get an even coating of boiled linseed oil in mine. Easier said than done with the shape of the frame.
Pefectly fine to hijack the thread. It's helping me to learn stuff. Keep going.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your frame looks better than with what I started with.
Pull the bed off and see what you are really working with.

I wire wheeled down the whole thing/used cut off wheel to remove the bad stuff
Buddy welded up several trouble spots
VHT rust converter spray
VHT chassis paint

Also replaced the rear leafs with a set from AutoZone with free delivery and did a "new" steering rack from Detroit Axle while I was at it.

View attachment 343081
View attachment 343082
View attachment 343083
Thank you very much. Let me see what can be done.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I bought 6 cans and still have 1 left to hit up some spots before winter. Taped every hole up I could find so it wouldn't spray everywhere. I got green so I could see the coverage easier. It seemed to work well. As soon as you get it take the hoses out and straighten them and leave them like that for a few days or find a thin wire to tape it to so the hose stays straight as you insert it.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jason, I'm not seeing anything close to the kind of rot alot of Colorado owners like Rex here, myself and many others have experienced. I'll second and third the advice give to you that says to de-rust the frame to the best of your ability, using powered wire brushes, needle scaling gun and follow up with a good outer rust transformer type paint as well as doing the inside frame with the Eastwood product that Rex mentions. And after all that hardwork is done and the frame is looking semi-decent, go ahead and Fluid Film the entire frame and underbody portions, minus the exhaust system. And every spring, post-winter, get under there and inspect and reprime/paint/fluid film any areas of concern that may have popped up.

Maybe on a day that is above freezing, consider a home hosing of the undercarriage in mid-winter to help flush that insidious road salt away.

From the pictures you've posted, that frame is worth keeping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, I took my truck to the shop of a truck-genius who specializes in restoring frames, etc. He took a close look at my truck and said the following: "I have to be honest. It's too far gone. For $2,200, we would scrape off all the rust, and then coat everything, but I have to be honest, you won't be happy. It's past the time for this truck."

He also said, "Your Colorado is like the 15th Colorado brought in here this month with the same rust problem."

Hmmm....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts