Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Replaced ECAS now truck wont idle and is running terrible. (3.5 05)

3446 Views 20 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  colorado zq8
Hey guys I replaced my old exhaust camshaft actuator solenoid today because I was getting a p0014 code and noticed it had some oil around it so I figured the seal had given out. It wasnt really running bad and all the screen were intact but man was it hard to get out. It was super tight! So I put in the new ECAS (Dorman) that I got from my work (Carquest) and it was fine until I drove down the road about 5 miles then my tach goes all sporatic and almost stalls so I gas it a little bit and keep my RPMs up for a mile or two on the highway. Then I come to a redlight so I had to shift into neutral and keep my RPMs up to stop without stalling and losing my power steering and brakes(this has happened once before). I checked the electrical connection and it was tight and it was bolted in to spec with a torque wrench (89 In/lb).

also I checked it with my OBD II scanner and now its showing like 6 codes :| can't remember all of them but I know two were p0014 and p0017. I will post when I check it again tomorrow if a solution cant be found.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Did you replace with the correct part? I thought the camshaft acutator solenoid was a "dealer" only, meaning normal autopsrts stores do not Carry it. If u still have the old sensor throw it in and see if it clears up your issues.
Yes it's the right part, could it be I didn't reset my systems by disconnecting my battery?
It is def worth a try. the truck was running ok before you changed the sensor?
It was running fine before, I recently cleaned the tb and maf sensor and since then it's been idling fine and running fine. It stalled once but I'm pretty sure it's because I was so low on gas because I was below 1/4 of a tank and it was nothing like it is now.
1. Truck running okay.
2. Replaced part.
3. Truck not running okay.

Maybe bad part? At least one guy has reported a problem with Dorman. See Post #282, this Thread:

http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-...ce-exhaust-camshaft-actuator-solenoid-15.html
The Dorman & GM original solenoids have a slightly different in construction as they will affect the variable valve timing sensor correlation.

You will need to have a GM dealer perform a crankshaft variation relearn procedure using a Tech-2 tool or just replace the solenoid with an original GM part.
I changed mine about two months ago,just last week I started getting a rough idle at stop lights,maybe this needs to be changed again.
I changed mine about two months ago,just last week I started getting a rough idle at stop lights,maybe this needs to be changed again.
If you have the OEM GM solenoid or Delphi brand solenoid, there shouldn't be any need to change it again. I would just recommend taking a trip to the dealer and have the VCM/PCM reprogrammed with the latest software and then they'll have to perform a crankshaft variation relearn procedure afterwards to setup the VVT correlation. Also if you haven't already, you may want to clean the throttle body and MAF sensor.
It's a ac delco,I cleaned the throttle body and maf yesterday.
It's a ac delco,I cleaned the throttle body and maf yesterday.
Are you sure it's the VVT solenoid you replaced because I've yet to see one manufactured by AC Delco?

Maybe you replaced a camshaft sensor or evap vent valve solenoid or purge valve solenoid.
Alright got the dorman Ecas out now to try and see if carquest supplies the GM part.. Hoping I don't have to go to the dealer.
You can order them online from eBay or Amazon and they're around forty bucks with free shipping part number: 12615873 GM OEM actuator solenoid valve.
Got the GM OEM part today when I get home I will install it and update!
Well it worked! Replaced with GM part from the dealer and voila no CEL :th_woot: and it actually runs and drives better than before I even started this whole thing lol! Just looking at the GM part you can tell its higher quality, it has wire wrapped around the screens (to prevent them from coming off and disintegrating) and came in an oil lubed packaging. I think I'll stick with OEM parts only from now on when it comes to performance parts. Thanks for the help guys!
Glad you got it worked out. Thanks for the update. Good info for the next guy.
I looked at mine,it's not a ac delco.But the part number is not the same that you posted above,it's 1426613 06c.Looking no online for the replacement part.
After looking on line,I found the seller that I bought my first one from,the part number listed is the same that you posted,but received the part number that I listed above.I looked for the part number and it shows no listings,hmmm now I am lost.
Well it worked! Replaced with GM part from the dealer and voila no CEL :th_woot: and it actually runs and drives better than before I even started this whole thing lol! Just looking at the GM part you can tell its higher quality, it has wire wrapped around the screens (to prevent them from coming off and disintegrating) and came in an oil lubed packaging. I think I'll stick with OEM parts only from now on when it comes to performance parts. Thanks for the help guys!
Awesome!!!

I pays to use genuine GM OEM parts.

After looking on line,I found the seller that I bought my first
one from,the part number listed is the same that you posted,but received the part number that I listed above.I looked for the part number and it shows no listings,hmmm now I am lost.
When searching for new solenoid be sure it says Genuine GM or OEM because a lot of sellers list the same oem part number and will send you an aftermarket item.

Also an original GM solenoid will have an engraved serial number with a production date code.
This is a bit off topic, but in case some haven't noticed, there is a relatively new company selling aftermarket auto parts. The name of the company is OEM. I haven't bought anything from them because of their obvious attempt at deception. I see a lot of their ads on Ebay.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.