Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being quoted 600 bucks to replace the lower control arm bushings I'm going to do it myself. New bushings will be here tomorrow via Rock Auto. I have access to the jacks and stands needed. I've been reading various posts about the process. I'm going to try the minimal approach and would liek your guys opinion and suggestions.

1.Jack and support front, remove wheels.
2. Unload torrsion bars and remove after marking and counting turns on key bolt.
3. Remove diff brackets with diff supported.
4. Remove Lower balljoint nut and separate from arm.
5. Remove Control arm bolts.
6 Press out rear frame mounted bushing with press from auto zone., repeat on front bushing.
7. Install new bushings with same tool.

Then bolt it all back up and go get the alignment done.

That's my plan at least am I missing anything?
I have a newer set of "offset" keys I bought for my 05 3.5L. Would these work on my 5.3L?

I plan on dropping the front end from 3 inches lifted to about 2.5 with less of a crank then what is on there now. Will re-adjust the front diff drop accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. I appear to be f-ed..... Unless this piece isnt critical... Not sure how long it's been like that or if it was like that when i bought it.... Could the bushing being bad make it do that? Looks liek the arm may have been rubbing..

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update update..

The mount is NOT attached to the frame anymore... what would cause it to break from the frame? this definitely changes the game...

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Update update..

The mount is NOT attached to the frame anymore... what would cause it to break from the frame? this definitely changes the game...
The only thing that comes to mind is a collision. I guess rust could weaken the metal to the point where it could break away but your truck frame looks to be in good shape.

If you’ve not had a hard hit I guess a REALLY bad bushing could allow enough misalignment to put torque on the mount.

Hate to see such an issue on your truck.

Remember though, when a door closes look for a window.

You sound like a good candidate for a solid axle swap now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The only thing that comes to mind is a collision. I guess rust could weaken the metal to the point where it could break away but your truck frame looks to be in good shape.

If you’ve not had a hard hit I guess a REALLY bad bushing could allow enough misalignment to put torque on the mount.

Hate to see such an issue on your truck.

Remember though, when a door closes look for a window.

You sound like a good candidate for a solid axle swap now.

I havent hit anything. I dont even drive it hard. The bushing is cracked but i wouldnt say it's wasted..The truck had issues when I got it. I guess the dealer didnt inspect it. there are parts stickers on some of the parts. it has 100k on it, I doubt they are original. I have a friend who was supposed to come over and weld it back on. Just wondering if i should wait to put the bushing on until after it's welded. I cant get the front bushing out, the kit from crappo zone is pretty useless. I dont have a socket to fit in to get a proper press. and no ride to get one, Thanks Wilmes chevrolet for being such an honest dealership...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, was able to find a welder. to come and weld the mount back on. I tried to locate frames and had no luck. Hopefully it's prettty well aligned.. Went back right where it was so we'll see..... Still trying to find someone to install the front bushing... Should have just bought new a-arms. lol...

Fun Fun Fun

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I’m glad you got it welded up. I’m surprised you salvaged the old mounts.

Great work pulling it back together.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m glad you got it welded up. I’m surprised you salvaged the old mounts.

Great work pulling it back together.

Yeah the welder is an instructor at the local university, seemed to know what he was doing. The outer piece did take some manipulation. Hopefully the drive ability isn't affected too badly.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I had one of the front bushings not fully seat, still another 3mm or .1455" or less is still not seated. I installed the arm anyways. didn't have a problem getting it in. My friend is convinced it will be unsafe. I think it will be fine. What do you think?

Note: I haven't installed the other front bushing yet. I'm taking it to a shop as the hand press couldnt do it on the other one hence it not fully installed.. Got the frame ones removed and installed no problem though.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Do you have any pics of the bushing that wouldn't seat all the way?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[/URL][/IMG]

The small bend is from the guy who tried to use an air hammer to drive it in the rest of the way...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those front bushing were a pain in the ass. I had shop that couldn't get them out. So I had to cut them out, and then have a diff shop press them in. I think I did the same on one of mine but wasn't as big so I ran with it. Maybe hit it with a welder? If ever do it again. I'm just replacing the arms. A new arm with bushings isn't terribly bank breaking. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Ordered an arm from rock auto. Went with the Ultra Power brand. It was listed under the economy list but was hearted as a top seller/favorite. Super low price so I'm going to remove the ball joint from the factory arm and use in place of the new Ultra Power one. I'll be using the factory torsion bar bracket as well. I'm hoping less that can go wrong if things were to go wrong with the new arm. I really only need a good arm and front bushing from them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ordered an arm from rock auto. Went with the Ultra Power brand. It was listed under the economy list but was hearted as a top seller/favorite. Super low price so I'm going to remove the ball joint from the factory arm and use in place of the new Ultra Power one. I'll be using the factory torsion bar bracket as well. I'm hoping less that can go wrong if things were to go wrong with the new arm. I really only need a good arm and front bushing from them.

You should be fine. I had an issue installing the frame one with the mount crushing. I had to put sockets in it to keep it from crushing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The truck had issues when I got it. I surmise the vendor didnt examine it. there are parts stickers on a portion of the parts. it has 100k on it, I question they are unique. I have a companion who should come over and weld it back Tutuapp 9apps Showbox on. Simply contemplating whether I should hold on to put the bushing on until after it's welded. I cannot get the front bushing out, the unit from crappo zone is pretty futile. I dont have an attachment to fit in to get a legitimate press. furthermore, no ride to get one, Thanks Wilmes chevrolet for being such a fair business.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts