Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm gonna need it lol but the only way to learn is to do it right

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no money to pay someone or i would and they want 300 fuckin dollars to do one when i can do it for about 50 depending on parts cost

·
Registered
98 Posts
ok.... its not hard but its hard to explain without pics but ill try anyway... the u-joint has 4 ends that can easily slip off.... and under them are pin bearings.... do not lose any of them.... the u-joint only connect 2 ways.... one way with bolts and one with retaining clips (but sometimes both sides have retaining clips, i dont know which one colorados have).... i never did one on a colorado but ive done many on jeeps...

If both sides bolt on then just take them off and put them back on.... but i dont think they are...lol

But if you have c-clipped u joints this is how you do it
- take off the retaining clips
- take a good look at your new u-joints so you know how they can come off... take all the caps on the ends off and make sure you dont lose any of the pin bearings.... (the way the caps come off is how youre gonna get them out of the driveshaft) youre gonna want to keep all the pin bearings in place inside the caps around the rim
- put it on a solid surface and use a socket or whatever you want...pound down one side of the u joint so the other side pops out below it... take the cap from the side that popped out with pliers.
- flip and repeat....
- then repeat all these steps for the other side

to install.... just do in reverse what you did to take them off.... just make sure that when you are pounding the new caps in that the pin bearings stay in place and dont fall.... just take your time and do everything right and you should be fine

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i had one side that bolted on and i din't see any pin bearings only the C clips i only have the two caps off the current U joint cause i ran out of light tonite is it possible the ones i took off didn't have the pin bearings

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
o and thanks i had someone trying to just tell me the same thing and expect me to remember now i can at least reference this

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i lied it'll cost me 52.50 plus tax but thats better than 300 i might have to buy another c clamp too but i can handle that

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i got it in smooth thanks to k3kOa and others and it was really easy too thank you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts