Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the truck since 10/04 with 69 miles on it... and have been on CFans for a long time, posted there but I guess there is more traffic here these days. The long arse backstory:

The steering rack has always worn prematurely, I had the rack replaced by the dealer at about 50k or some crazy ish like that. For the last two years I have been struggling with the steering... the rack got pretty sloppy about fall of '12, bought a used rack to get by... didn't get space to install for a month but when I did, the rack pressured up and made the pump whine like a pig. I checked everything many times with no luck so I put the worn out one back in and it worked fine. So I figured I got a bum used rack and like a dumbarse I got another used, this time from LKQ which has given me amazingly new used parts many times before. So I get a crappy PS pump from Napa... install it all AGAIN (I should be a pro after this nonsense) jacked up rack to rack like 30 times as usual and BAM it works! a little whine but it dissipated... I park in the bay and get to work on the emblem and grill. About a week or so later I head back, start er up and the pump screams. I probably should have re-bled the lines but I managed to roast the pump just trying to get er back in the shop (they are a mofo to turn without PS!) Took a break. Came back to a puddle of ps fluid :/

So now I have been rollin my '84 VW van but its time for the custom frame/ bag setup for that to begin so I need my baby back! I can just get the parts for that year but was curious if there was a better option.

I called GM and they had no idea what ZQ8 rack would fit or what the difference in the z85/zq8 racks...time wasted

-mike

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Believe the racks are the same from Z85 to ZQ8. The Z71's are different because of the transfer case. Also if you go from different years the fitting might be different, that's all I remember.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The part #'s are different... I have read a few places on here that the ratio on the zq8 is higher. a lil tighter steering id guess

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
The steering box from a 2009+ ZQ8 had the quickest ratio.

Steering type: power-assisted rack-and-pinion

Steering ratio: 17.4:1 (2.9L & 3.7L w/ 2WD)
18.3:1 (2.9L & 3.7L w/ 4WD)
18.1:1 (5.3L w/o ZQ8)
14.5:1 (5.3L w/ ZQ8)

Steering wheel turns, lock-to-lock: 2WD Z85: 3.31
4WD: 3.20
Z71 (incl. 2WD): 3.20
5.3L w/o ZQ8: 3.08
5.3L w/ ZQ8: 2.73

Turning circle, curb-to-curb (ft / m): 2WD short wheelbase: 39.37 / 12; 2WD long wheelbase:
44.3 / 13.5; 4WD short wheelbase: 40.7 / 12.4; 4WD long
wheelbase: 44.3 / 13.5

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the zq8 part is 26095461 which changed to 19300498 (z85 - 15951338 to 19300497). Anyone know if the mount points differ on the z85 and zq8 racks?

going with the 19300498 rack, 15136892 pressure hose, 88965491 pump

just wanna make sure the rack fits because: no returns!

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry to be so detailed but I will not be able to return it so I have to make absolutely sure that it will work... thank you rshadd for the detailed info and images. is the 15951337 the right one? damn this is confusing, thank you for the help

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I think the key to all of this is to make sure that the pump, hoses and rack are all from the same configuration. In other words, if you are going to go with a ZQ8 rack, make sure the pump and hoses go with that model. If not, you might find that the rack bolts right up, but the hoses won't connect to it.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the 15951337 the right one? it says its for 2009+ so there is no mount design change from 2004 and the 2010?

the 26095461 seems more likely since it is for an 04-06 sport but is it the better radtio rack?

and what about the pump? would I order my z85 pump, the sport, or the zq8 pump? will the zq8 2009+ pump work on my engine? the pressure hose from the z85 or the zq8?

sorry for all questions

i do know they all need to be from the same model no idea what parts will fit the 04 i have

this is confusing, thank you for the help

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so the 09-12 pump will mount on my engine? and the 09 rack? and the 09 hoses? I really want to order these parts tonight or in the morning... probably take the rack a lil while as its a special order with most of the gm discount sites...

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I don't think that you are going to get the positive answer that you are looking for. The steering system in the 355s was not problematic (except for yours) and most likely those who replaced their rack, probably used the same model. Jesse mentioned a difference between 2wd and 4wd so that will have to be a consideration. There may be someone, that has the experience and can tell you if there is any difference in the configuration, but you may have a long wait before they come around.

I understand your reluctance, especially with the past problems you have had, to take a chance on purchasing parts without confirmation. In this case I think you should gather all of the information that has been presented to you, both here and over at C'Fans. Review the information and using that, and common sense, make a decision.

When I say common sense, I mean that ,while possible, there most likely weren't any major changes to the steering system. Common sense would say that the rack mounts and the pump mounts are the same. If GM found a problem that affected the way the hoses were configured and modified the attachment point for them, they would also need to modify the racks, thus a part number change for both the rack and the hoses.
To simplify things for all involved, GM would just assign the new part numbers to the model years that they were installed on. I don't think you will even find anyone at a Dealership that will be able to tell you what is interchangeable with what.

The bottom line here is that I think you are going to have to make the decision yourself, using the information that you have been given. While it isn't as definitive as you wanted, all of it is useful. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks cart... went with the 15951337 rack and the matching hose with my 88965491 ps pump. The ps pump is the same throughout most years so I figure the zq8 hose should fit my pump but definitely should be the same gen as the rack just in case they changed the rack side of the hose at all. Should be here within a week so I will let you guys know how it works out... can't wait to see how smooth the Michigan Metal Works UCA's/ jeebus joint's ride and roll 2 1/2" of the ground again!

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rshadd: well the 2009+ may fit but it is ONLY for the 5.3... you were definitely mistaken... as well as the hose for that rack is discontinued. David at Nalley ordered a few, none of which work with that rack at all.

Cart & You guys wonder why I ask so much... most of the info was either useless or incorrect!

so a month later I am in the same position.

I bought this truck with < 100 miles. My first and only brand new vehicle... but after GM's incompetence, the GM dealership incompetence and rudeness I will not go with them again.

I guess its time to say goodbye to Chevy... I can not promote such horrible business practices.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Rshadd: well the 2009+ may fit but it is ONLY for the 5.3... you were definitely mistaken... as well as the hose for that rack is discontinued. David at Nalley ordered a few, none of which work with that rack at all.
I never stated that the 09+ rack would work on your truck. I only pointed out the fact that the '09+ zq8 rack had the quickest ratio. The parts diagrams that I posted all had links to detailed part descriptions and model year fitment. You failed to do the research and now you are whining about picking the wrong part and blaming others for your decisions.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts

Cart & You guys wonder why I ask so much... most of the info was either useless or incorrect!

I bought this truck with < 100 miles. My first and only brand new vehicle... but after GM's incompetence, the GM dealership incompetence and rudeness I will not go with them again.

I guess its time to say goodbye to Chevy... I can not promote such horrible business practices.
Nobody told you what to order. You were given numerous options and YOU chose the parts. Apparently YOU didn't have the capability to do the research yourself. YOU had the option to install the OEM rack and chose not to do so. Put your "big boy" panties on and accept responsibility for your decisions. Good luck with whatever vehicle you choose.

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts

Wow bro. Really?? Everyone stated that they didn't know. Then you take the things that were said and make decisions based on them. Then blame the people who told you in the first place that it hasn't been done or we haven't seen it so we don't know. I hope you find a solution but this kind of shit happens when you swap in things thats that arnt meant to be there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts